Wednesday, April 11, 2007

This was a WOW day!!!! Started out at 8am and drove to the Palo Duro Canyon State Park, about a 2 hour drive. These parks are beautiful, 4 dollars admission and away I went. There were many routes to either walk and bike and I decided to see it all and took the 12 mile bike route. the weather was sunny but the air and wind were cool and also the elevation is something I am going to have to get used to. The trail was very challenging and there were many spots when I said to myself,"No way am I biking down there" so off the bike and walked a bit. Although this canyon (did you google it yet?) is small it is very scenic. The route led around to the lighthouse rock and the formations and colors are very striking. Well I will admit I was tired when I got back and decided this was going to be a short travelling day and also I deserved my first steak in over 4 months. So I drove a short distance to Amirillo where the info from the guide books tells me is the home of the BIG TEXAS STEAKHOUSE, there is an ajoining motel, so I checked in and was settled by 4pm for a leisurely evening. The room is a cowboy theme with saloon doors to the bathroom. Imagine my utter joy of not only seeing a bath tub but the tub was a jet tub so a big soak in a mini hot tub, was just what the tender regions of my body needed. I did some reading and planning for tomorrow and then ventured across the parking lot to the restaurant. This place was big!!!!!!! They offer free to any one who completes the meal a 72 oz steak with all the trimmings, apparently something like 30,000 people have tried and only about 3000 finished it, me I went for the 80z steak with mashed potatoes and gravy and it sure was good. Tonight it is going to be TV and more reading. Had a great day lots of fresh air and wonderful views. Tomorrow a lengthy driving day heading for the Santa Fe area of New Mexico, this particular area is supposed to be rich in Indian folk lore and cliff dwellings are plentiful. Sorry for long posts and lots of photos but hope you get some measure of pleasure from them, I sure did!!!!Thanks Les

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...