Thursday, April 19, 2007

Getting a bit tiresome but another great day!!!! Left New Mexico this morning and stopped at four corners monument, this is the only place in the States where 4 States collide and meet. Was a little disappointed with this Monument, it is on Native land and apart from the Monument there is nothing else there except about 50 tacky open stores selling cheap stuff. The weather whichI have been so lucky with was another warm sunny day. Drove next to Hovenweep National Monument, this park is way out in the middle of nowhere but lovely scenery to get there. Another 6 dollars saved on my yearly pass and the park is like the rest of them very well maintained and signed with many interpretive stations. The place is worth a google….Walked around the canyon rim and the buildings were very impressive. I then continued to Cortez, Colorado, where I am staying for a few days, about 10 miles outside of town by luck I came across the Canyon of the Ancients National Monument, this is a great place. This park is totally unmanned and the only signs are small rock Cairns marking the trail, I did a walking loop of over 6 miles and there were some incredible views tried to capture them on the photos. Through out this loop I saw only one person, a lady with her dogs. It was very nice to be walking round in complete peace and walking on trails that I knew had been used hundreds of years ago it was really easy for my mind to wonder and to imagine myself walking down these trails all those years ago in my loin clothe, bow and arrows on my shoulder and spear in hand out looking for rabbits…. and as I walk the canyons I think about inviting the boys over to my cave tomorrow for poker or thinking about Cave television broadcasting the hockey game…I hope you get this as I had to send it by my pet Hawk as the Internet Cave cafĂ© is closed on Thursday afternoons…..what an imagination. You know what it is, the elevation!!!!, very high and I think it is affecting my mind…. just being playful…but I do notice when I am hiking that the air is rare and it is more strenuous at this altitude….take care….Les

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...