Saturday, March 03, 2007












ay 3
A good sleep convinced me to re think my plans for today, so I booked another nights stay here and took off on the local bus for 3 pesos to down town Zacatecas, a very old Colonial town from the 15 hundreds and founded and prospered due to the mining of all metals especially silver. As my luck continues to hold, after getting off the bus, the first person I asked was able to direct me to the tour bus and what a day it proved to be. The tour had 12 tourists and Ricardo our guide who spoke better English than me!!!!!For 225 pesos about 23 dollars we had 4 hours of total culture, education, incredible views, just awesome!!!!! All the photos depict the scenes I saw, it started with the cable car ride at a height of over 1000 feet, there was this great old couple on the tour, she was 86 and he was 90 and he told me about this book called “ A 1000 things to do and see before you die” and in it listed as one thing to do is this cable care ride!!!!! Pancho Villa on the horse was involved in the history of this town. We then went down to the La Mina El Eden, I am sure there is a web site for this and it is worth checking out. Never seen anything like it and yes that is me in the hair net before I don the hard hat to go down the mine. The mine was over 7 stories deep and too intricate and incredible to describe but all done with hands and picks, I was just shocked and amazed. My Dad would have loved to have done this tour; especially the small train ride up the mine!!! The main cathedral is considered one of the best in the country and they had drummers and trumpets in the courtyard. I then took a local bus out to the small town of Guadalupe, where the centre for the Franciscan monks is situated, the paintings in this church are again considered to be the best in Mexico. It was very cool to be walking alone through this quiet monastry looking out into the high courtyeards and letting your imagination take you back to those days, the bows, the vows of silence, the humility… The intricate work in the building of these temples is out of this world and I tried to capture the old and the new in one picture with the jet stream. Came back to the hotel about 9 hours later, exhausted it is very high altitude here, but also thrilled and this town rates number 3 best day, they all seem to be best days. Hope everyone has a great weekend, couldn’t find Internet so these notes are done on word then copied and pasted (thanks Andy) so lots of reading when I am able to get them done..

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...