Friday, May 10, 2013

Friday 10th May 2013…Daniela’s Birthday and the start of the training!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANIELA!!!!!    11 years old today!!

DSCF7329

DSCF7353

 

DSCF7369

 

I had a nice Birthday package that I dropped off at the English School this morning for her she comes to class tonight…the owner lovely Ms.Josefina told me that she is doing well in class and always asks after me!!!

I then went to Linda and Guy’s home where I parked Little Blackie …

One of the many items on my bucket list is to hike Camino de Santiago…

 

Camino de Santiago

The Camino de Santiago, also known as el camino de santiago or the way of Saint James, are actually several hiking routes that all lead to the town of Santiago de Compostela in northern spain.
The Camino Frances is the most popular camino, starting in Saint Jean de Pied de Port in France, and ending up about 30 days later in the town of Santiago de Compostela.

The origins of the Camino de Santiago goes back one thousand years and it was an important christian pilgrimage route during the middle ages, all walking to seek forgiveness from St James. It is though that the remains of the apostle saint james is buried in the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela.

In modern times pilgrims walk it for many reasons, not only religious, and to be a pilgrim has changed its meaning. What attracts people to the camino de santiago today, I think, is the mix of adventure, seeing spain and its culture and the camaraderie that builds up over several weeks of walking. Pilgrims that walk come from all over the world and that creates a great environment. Mix that with some good spanish wine and food, and you have the perfect experience.

The first ever guidebook, was written for the camino de santiago and is called the codex calixtinus. The modern day pilgrims use the internet and camino guides to prepare their walk. While on the camino, the need for such a camino guide varies. To find your way, it is not needed. You will have plenty of yellow arrows guiding you along. But it might be handy to have a camino guide to facilitate finding a place to sleep each night, if you choose not to stay in albergues.

The routes have public alberuges in almost every town at the end of each stage. These public alberges charges a low fee and gives you a shower and a place to sleep. This is usually bunk beds in rooms with 10-20 other pilgrims.

 

 

xcamino-frances_jpg_pagespeed_ic_tMyDFt8fH5

It is 800km or 500 miles and I want to be on the Way this time next year!!!!!

So I went on my first training hike I know it is early but I figured why not obviously I have lots to do to prepare including buying some good light equipment….I have read many articles and blogs and they all suggest that your back pack be no more than 10% of your body weight so for me that just around 18 pounds…you carry only the very bare necessities…this link below is to an Australian man who is just finishing the hike and I think it is a great blog!!

www.pgstheway.com

The area around the pressa(lake) is a great training ground very similar to the terrain in Spain, same weather conditions and I must admit my pack was very light this afternoon ..anyway I walked 18 km and here are some photos!!

DSCF9535

DSCF9537

DSCF9538

DSCF9545

DSCF9547

DSCF9549

DSCF9552

So now a few hours later after a hot bath, supper, icing the knee here are a few thoughts on this quest!!

It is going to be very grueling.

I am hoping not to have issues with my right knee

I am hoping not to have issues with my left toes.

It will be a soul searching time.

It is not a race I hope to finish within 5 weeks but if it takes 5 months so be it.

I shall have no expectations.

I have no idea why I am going to do it.

Hope you have a great weekend …

Yashi Koshi!!

4 comments:

Rick said...

Les, there was a feature film of El camino de Santiago staring Martin Sheen a few years ago - "The Way"
Not a blockbuster but a haunting and meaningful piece that was shot on location. I liked it and you can probably see it online somewhere or maybe on DVD in San Miguel.
I plan to do the hike but only a portion of the route as most pilgrims do.

Rick

mexicokid said...

Thanks I have seen the movie and good luck when you walk cheers Les

Esther said...

Love the idea of this! At our age it is important to approach the training in a way that will build our strength and endurance without causing injury.
It just takes so long to recover! Here's an example of a well thought out schedule.
http://www.marathonwalking.com/schedule_marathon.html
I used something like this to train for a walking marathon years ago. Keep lots of ice on hand, lol!

mexicokid said...

Thanks Esther that is a good site safe travels les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...