Thursday, March 26, 2009

Wednesday 25th March…the Red Rocks!!!

Had a great sleep and the morning was cool but sunny and I had my world famous Pearson scrambled eggs for breakfast.

Filled up with drinking water, water in Ramona’s fresh water tank and gas and away I went on my way to Sedona and the Red Rocks for which it is famous.IMG_5228

IMG_5231 IMG_5232

 

 

 

 

 

 

As usual I had done my homework and knew where I wanted to go and I headed for Doe Mountain.IMG_5240

The parking area was not interesting and not worth wasting a photo on!!!!!!!!!!IMG_5238

This is where I was headingIMG_5241

The climb was fairly easy but again elevation plays a part in taking your breath away.  Enjoy the views up the mountain in a few down below you can see Ramona taking a siesta!!

IMG_5242 

 

IMG_5247 

IMG_5243

IMG_5252

IMG_5256

The summit…

IMG_5254it was quite awe inspiring sitting on this ledge about a 500 feet drop and a view like a postcard.

This area around Sedona is known for is vortexes and many people come here to experience these.  I must say it was a grounding time sitting here but I felt no gravitational pull or feelings,  I guess I am not ready to enter the New Age!!

Back on the road again I saw many of these pink jeeps they are an off road tour company and they were doing a great business today.IMG_5257

IMG_5259

On the road to my next stopIMG_5260

IMG_5275 This was a pleasant little park where water comes down the rocks and you can slide all the way down, even crazy old  me didn’t do this, water way too cold.IMG_5270

IMG_5271

IMG_5272

The next stop was Oak Creek overlook.IMG_5280 IMG_5279 

IMG_5283the road I just drove up.

IMG_5284

The last stop of the day wasIMG_5287

This is the Wupatki and Sunset Crater Volcano National Park.

The first part of the park is the Sunset Crater and I took the hike around the bottom of the volcano.IMG_5289 IMG_5288

IMG_5290

You may have to double click some of these photos with writing.

IMG_5291

IMG_5292

IMG_5294

IMG_5295

IMG_5297

IMG_5306

This is the snow capped mountain on the opposite side of the valley.

IMG_5316

IMG_5317

IMG_5319

As I was walking around the loop trail and seeing the volcanic summit, the ash, the lava rocks,  my mind went back to a few weeks ago and my journey to the volcano at Paricutin and what a special and unforgettable trip that was.

So imagine my pleasure at the next information sign I see this….

IMG_5310

This was a very interesting walk and now it was getting to be cool and windy and it was time to find a place to stay the night.  The ranger at the Visitor's Information had told me of a place to park and I found it no problem.  I am the only one here and surrounded by trees and mountains it is going to be very quiet.

IMG_5322 IMG_5321

Tomorrow I will see the Wupatki ruins in the park and I then head out to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...