Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thursday 26th March …Oh what a day..

Woke up at 7am and it was COLD!!!!!!!  Had to put the furnace on……it was going to be a busy day so after a quick cuppa and toast got on the road.  My first stop wasIMG_5326

and the ruins, these photos were taken before 8am when it was only me….very moving to be around these buildings and everything was so quiet and my wondered back to what it may have been like all those years ago.IMG_5348

IMG_5328 

IMG_5329

IMG_5330

IMG_5336

IMG_5339

This was a great start to the day.  Back on the road again and heading for the Grand Canyon.IMG_5349 I just got into the park and the snow started belting down!!

IMG_5351

Took time to make lunch and get packed up because I determined to hike the rim.IMG_5354

It cleared soon enough although it was very cold and I took this bus 8 miles to Hermit Pass where I got off and hiked the 8 miles back along the rim.

Now the only way for this to work is to follow the Pearson Grand Canyon viewing guide.

First of all put the kettle on for a cup of tea.  Find one of those Peru/Andes flute music CD’s.  Sit in a comfortable chair and relax whilst I take you on a tour, a free tour I might add, of one of the most incredible places on this earth!!!

IMG_5353

IMG_5356

IMG_5357 Yes that is me in LONG pants and three sweaters.

IMG_5359

IMG_5361

IMG_5363

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5370

Yes that is me in LONG pants three sweaters and now GLOVES!!!!  The wind factor was making it so cold!!IMG_5371

IMG_5361

IMG_5363

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5374

IMG_5383

IMG_5399

IMG_5385

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5388

IMG_5392

IMG_5394

IMG_5401

IMG_5410

IMG_5412

IMG_5413

Now this next photo needs a little explanation.  I had been walking now about 1 hour and I met this lady at this view point, we exchanged pleasantries and got talking and it turned out she was here on her own and was travelling around by bus.  We were walking in the same direction so we walked together and the talk was easy.  We walked all the way back and it was decided that she would join me for dinner and then………

 

Barb, Barbara, Heather, Annie and Moira are you following this?  Are you believing this?  Is so gotta ya AGAIN!!!!

 

What actually happened was as I was walking along the rim I came across this young couple trying to take a self held photo of themselves so I offered to take the photo for them and of course they said sure.  So after I took their photo I asked them to take mine and the young lady said well I am sure you want me in it and of course I said yes.IMG_5414

IMG_5421

IMG_5424

Me and my shadow…

IMG_5427

IMG_5429

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_5431

IMG_5433

IMG_5435 The only wild life I saw.IMG_5437

IMG_5438

IMG_5441

The hike was a long one and the wind very cold but the views incredible.  I went back to Ramona how great to turn on the furnace and get warm, have a cup of tea and have a hot shower.

I decided to get back on the bus at 6.00pm and go out to one of the look outs suggested by the bus driver for a sunset view.

Saw this beauty out the bus window, looks like he has been in the wars.

IMG_5442IMG_5443

The canyons change with the sun.IMG_5444

I AM CANADIAN!!!!!IMG_5445

To be honest I was not impressed with my sun set shots.IMG_5453

IMG_5463 IMG_5459

 

 

 

 

It was just an incredible awesome day…I am going to find a quiet place in the park to stay over night, tomorrow morning visit the east side of this rim then head out my plans are to go into Utah over the weekend and spend a couple of weeks touring around the sights there.

 

FOOTNOTE:

For those regular readers (what do you mean there are actually people out there who don’t start their day reading my blog!!!) you will know the story of the blue plastic bowl that has been placed on the rear ladder of Ramona, not fastened down just sitting there.  My plan was an honesty test, to see when someone would steal it.  I placed it there about 6 weeks ago and have travelled 100’s of miles in Mexico and now the States BUT this morning whilst at the Visitors Centre at the Canyon for about 10 minutes I came back and found this…IMG_5352

No bowl…draw your own conclusions…

Maybe no blog for a day or two, it will probably take that long to read this…

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...