Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Monday 23rd March…Back in the US of A

Left this morning around 9am for the drive to Nogales and the US border.  It was an uneventful drive and I was a little bit sad at leaving Mexico for many reasons but also happy to be doing some touring of the States.

I encounted my first frustration of the Mexican authorities on my way out of the country.  In years past leaving was not an issue I would turn in my vehicle permit and get a receipt showing the date I entered Mexico and the date leaving.  It was different this year because now I don’t have to turn in my vehicle permit as it is good for 10 years.

Anyway I stopped at the Mexican checkpoint and turned in my tourist card I asked for a copy but they would not give one to me.  The reason why I need a date of exit from Mexico is that I can claim from the BC motor vehicle insurance a refund on my  insurance for the duration of my Mexico stay.

I went to another office and after waiting over 30 minutes they sent me to the Customs office.  Another long wait but they would still not issue me with any documentation showing I was leaving the country.  I had wasted over 90 minutes and leaving empty handed.

At the US border the lines were quite longIMG_5183

IMG_5185

and I hoped that when I went through they would at least stamp my passport to show proof that I had left Mexico.  Alas this would not work as the US customs agent told me they don’t stamp passports here only at airports.  So I had no choice I had to leave without any documentation.

I was going to Tucson to see my friends, Charlotte and Brent, who I know from Nanaimo.

My trusty Sam (my GPS)IMG_5186

told me which turns to take and around 6pm I found their house.  I had house sat for Charlotte and Brent In September in Nanaimo and I think my two girls Penney and Casey remembered me.IMG_5187

IMG_5188

I was telling Charlotte about my adventure today and she had the good idea to use my credit card tonight at the restaurant and at least I would  have some dated proof of my time in the USA.

I am staying the night in Ramona in their front drive and I already notice the drop in temperature, maybe time for the sweat pants to come out again.

I am leaving in the morning on my way to Phoenix to watch a baseball game in the afternoon.

So it is with mixed emotions that I say good night….

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ICBC told us to stop at a gas station or store - one on each side of the border - to buy something and keep those receipts which shows the date you crossed the border...next time!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...