Monday, May 05, 2014

Monday 5th May 2014…..Day 29!!!!

So my stay on the Bank came to an end and Heather continued her wonderful way of treating me by getting up at 6am and baking me fresh strawberry muffins and making me sandwiches for the road…you are an ANGEL>>>Thank you so much…sorry I did not see much of Kirby but enjoyed my time with the boys and of course Boomer….love and blessings to the whole family this summer as they travel in all different directions.

I was on the road before 7am and got to the ferry terminal 25 minutes later and no waits for the ferry which left on time at 7.45am.

DSC03807

Saying goodbye to Nanaimo!!!

DSC03810

Map picture

 

Two hours later I was on the mainland and 20 minutes later at the USA border in peace Arch!!!!!!

DSC03813

It was a 30 minutes wait and then at the gate I was asked a couple of questions and admitted…no issues!!!!  It was then about a 30 minute drive to Bellingham where I stopped for gas much cheaper here than in Canada, went to REI store and bought a waterproof case for my Nexus and also had the sales assistant look at my back pack and to tell me where exactly it needed to fit on my hips…he did one small adjustment I had it about 2 inches too low so good to get that sorted…..did last minute shop at Wal-Mart for a couple of items and then went to Whatcom park where I read on the internet there were some good trails with a waterfall…and there was!!!

DSC03816

DSC03819

DSC03815

The hike was an easy one and the falls were pretty….Back on the Interstate for the 90 minute drive to Seattle.

Map picture

A little history here……when I arranged this trip in January I knew I was flying out of Seattle and I also knew I needed to leave Little Bluey in Seattle till I return on 28th July so there was a small problem of where…..in SMA they have a website called the Civil List it is a forum where you ask questions, give information, sell things..anything really…I knew it was a long shot but I posted on there that I was looking to park my car in Seattle for the summer and did anyone know anyone in Seattle who may be able to help me…..well that same day I received and e mail from a SMA resident telling me she had a really good friend in Seattle who may be able to do this for me and gave me the e mail address of her friend.  I e mailed Deb and through a few e mails we were able to work out an arrangement and here I am staying at Deb’s beautiful home for the night and Little Bluey can stay in her car port till I return…Deb is lovely and she took me out for dinner and then drove me around town and down by the lake…it sure is beautiful area…..Deb is a nursing supervisor and starts work at 3am so went to bed early but not before getting me ready a cup of tea and turning the TV on so I could watch my Kings win game two of their series!!!!

alecmartinezjeffcarter_4214-430x298

Notice the name of the player wearing number 70!!!!!!!

So I will not see Deb until I come back in July and how nice that she opens her home to a stranger and could not be more accommodating….my room!!!

DSC03822

 

So it is now almost 11pm and ready for bed the other thing I did not mention about Deb’s house is that it is a 5 minute walk to the Rapid Transit system which I will take tomorrow and it takes me right to the airport for $2.25 and about a 30 minute ride!!!!

So back in the good old US of A for a few hours….blessings

 

 

By the way today is a holiday in Mexico..Cinco de Mayo but I think it is celebrated more in the USA than Mexico anyway below is the history of the holiday!!!

 

 

 

little known fact is that back in 1912, Hellmann’s mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the Titanic was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico, which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after its stop in New York. This would have been the largest single shipment of mayonnaise ever delivered to Mexico but as we know, the great ship did not make it to New York.

The ship hit an iceberg and sank and the cargo was forever lost. The people of Mexico, who were crazy about mayonnaise and were eagerly awaiting its delivery, were disconsolate at the loss. Their anguish was so great, that they declared a National Day of Mourning which they still observe to this day. The National Day of Mourning occurs each year on May 5th and is known, of course as Sinko de Mayo.

 

Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...