Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tuesday 16th April 2013….catch up time!!!

It is 5am yes you read it right 5am….I went to bed at 11.30pm and had a really good sleep but now I am wide awake I was going to cross the border around 6am but I discovered late last night that the crossing I want to cross at the office I need to get my papers does not open till 8am…so after doing this I will have some yogurt and cereal and get some ice and head for the border about 20 minutes away in time to be there when the office opens.

So I thought I would take the time to catch up on the blog….it appeared for ten days all the talk was of tennis first the Davis Cup in Vancouver and then Ashley so I promise the next time you read about tennis it will be about me playing back in SMA.

I am happy to be crossing back into Mexico and the first part of the journey home…..  more about today later on this evening if I have internet where I am staying.

Anyway once the final of Ashley's game was done I had some time on my hands and with my friend Diana we did a couple of hikes..the first one was to

DSCF9130

DSCF9134

This was a very unusual oasis palm canyon in the middle of the desert.

DSCF9131

DSCF9138

DSCF9147

DSCF9149

Ladies please be warned that the next photo might cause some heart beats

 

you have been warned!!!!

 

DSCF9159

The water was cool and refreshing

DSCF9155

It was such a wonderful hike and to be surrounded by these enormous palms in such a dry place was amazing!!

DSCF9152

The next place was the Living desert zoo and again another wonderful opportunity to see some wildlife

DSCF9208I like the 3 different species in one photo!!

DSCF9220

DSCF9232Can you find the mountain goat??

There was a very informative 30 minute show in which some birds gave hunting demonstrations and also some wild African cats..we spent over 2 hours here and it really was a special place.

Yesterday on the way to El Centro I took a short detour and went to Painted Canon for a hike.  My friends Esther and Steve had done this hike and recommended it to me…..it was one of the most different hikes I have ever done.

First there was a 4 mile drive on a gravel road which ended in the middle of no where and there were very few directions and I was told it is easy to get on the wrong trail….so I did!!!

From the very start I took a wrong turn and finished up in a very neat slot canyon

DSCF9243

Some parts were so narrow I had to take my back pack off to get through I had not gone to far when I realized I was not on the correct trail so I turned around and did find the right way to go which was to follow the rock arrow!!

DSCF9237

There were a series of ladders into the canyon

DSCF9240

DSCF9241

DSCF9249

 

Although the elevation gain was only around 500 feet this was quite a strenuous hike with loose rocks and on the top plateau very windy

DSCF9251

DSCF9252

My camera was not able to bring out the varied colors…I stopped lots for drinks and it is amazing how anything so colorful can exist here

DSCF9253

Soon the trail turned into the high walled canyon

DSCF9254

DSCF9262

DSCF9258

Some more ladders

DSCF9266

DSCF9267

The hike took me less than 3 hours and it was a hike that in hindsight I should not have taken by myself…..from the moment I was on the gravel road till the time I returned to the main road I saw no one.

I continued the 70 miles to El Centro and the roads were good but the winds were high and the sand nasty!!

DSCF9270

I had pre booked a motel room and it was only 32 dollars and a nice small room with fridge and micro wave

DSCF9271

I knew from research that there were all the stores that I needed and I went on a last minute shopping spree buying such things as a new answering machine phone, an electric juicer, men's haircutting kit, BBQ and some groceries and after a couple of hours this was my room!!!!

DSCF9272

I know I will get everything in Little Bluey after I re pack and sort some things out….

So there you have it a whirlwind trip is coming to an end…..I shall spend 4 days in Puerto Penasco and you will just have to wait and see where I am staying!!!!!

Time to get all my stuff in the car and have breakfast.

I wish you all a wonderful day!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...