Saturday, October 13, 2007






Welcome to my first post from Costa Rica, it is pretty amazing in just about 24 hours I have travelled over 3500 miles and settled in a hotel room in a small town in Central America. I arrived here at 10.30pm so didn’t really get any sense of how anything is except of course the hustle, bustle, music and smiling faces.
The journey here was a good one with only one glitch, not counting the 360 pound gentleman that stood on my bare foot as he was heading down the aisle of the plane to the wash room, I don’t think I need surgery!!!!!
The ferry leaving Nanaimo was on time and I had the two cutest taxi drivers ever (thanks). I had made a sign for the ferry to see if anyone was going to the airport who would give me a ride, but I think there was maybe 10 people on the ferry, but I did see another lady as a foot passenger and I asked her if she was heading to the airport and she was so we shared a cab, which put us at the airport at 1.30am. We sat and talked for over one hour and without giving out her personal information, the story she told just made me realize how important health is and of course doing the things you want to do in your life whilst you can.
I tried to sleep at the airport but just finished up walking all around the concourse inside and out until my 6.30am flight to Seattle. Had 2 hours to wait in Seattle before leaving for Dallas and there another 2 hours to wait, but that turned into 4 hours as the plane had some mechanical problems ( 3 of the engines fell off) just kidding, so instead of arriving in San Jose, Costa Rica at 8.30 it was 10.30pm. So I have been up over 24 hours but feel pretty good and I am going to shower and then bed. I booked a hotel off the internet for my first night’s stay at the suggestion of my friend and like anything else it is always up for debate what will happen, they did send me an e mail in reply telling me that I had a room booked and if I forwarded my flight arrival information Johnnie would be waiting for me at the arrival gate. My take on this was to be prepared to find my own way to the hotel especially with the two-hour delay. Anyway as I exit the terminal, with scores of taxi drivers vying for my patronage…. there is Johnnie with a sign with my name on it!!!! You just have got to believe!!!!! He drove me to the hotel, can’t see much outside but the room is huge two floors, 3 beds, kitchen, balcony and very clean. So it looks like I have got off to a great start.
Tomorrow the lady whose house I am taking care of is coming to pick me up and show me around and so the adventure continues and I am looking forward to the next few weeks…..LesDay 2 The hotel has internet but the server is down so now it is Saturday morning and I had a really good sleep and woke up to sunshine, birds chirping and to find that the hotel backs onto a golf course and my balcony is about 15 feet from a fairway. This is the rainy season here and hence everything is so lush and green. I went and paid my bill 40 dollars for this huge room, staff are very friendly as I try to communicate in my pigeon Spanish. I have always thought that I must have some gypsy blood in me because it seems all my life I move around and I seem to adapt quite well. My friend is to pick me up soon, so another day begins, hopefully I can post this later on today; wish you all a great weekend..

2 comments:

Vlad said...

Hi, Les.

You are quite a traveller. Are you going to do some soccer reffing when down there? Just kidding, of course. You certainly don't want to spoil your stay in that beautiful corner of the world by letting possible, but very unimportant, arguments getting into the way.
Just wanted to let you know that you are doing a great job with this blog and it is educational too.
Your mentione of how important health should be to people, that's an old topic that needs to be always reminded to people, especially to those, who may be feeling great and healthy, but do little to stay that way. However, when one loses his/her health, then the realization comes that there is really nothing more important in this life of ours.
Keep going, my friend. Looking forward to seeing more of CR via your comments and pictures.

Your soccer friend from Penticton, Vlad.

PS: Did you get the card (tournament in PE pics)?

mexicokid said...

Vlad I send you 100 apologies I did get your great card and thank you so much, I put it in my motor home and I don't have your address, please send me an e mail with your postal address on, my e mail is mexicokid99@yahoo.ca Thank you for the nice comments, your website is great best wishes Les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...