Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Tuesday 13th February 2018...Shrove Tuesday!!!

medical update....



Well I am happy to report that I am starting on the road to recovery

I take pride in my health and my body and consider myself quite strong even for my age but this bout really knocked me back and I feel sad for those people that are not as strong because I was mainly in bed for 5days.....
My aches have gone and I have a little appetite returning....
Yesterday I had arranged a special class for my English students and I did not want to disappoint them so I bought a face mask and slowly walked to class last night...
This lovely young lady Kristen and her charming husband Rob came to class and it was such a great hit for my students.
Rob is from the deep south and he told the history of Madri Gras and it was all new to me...part of the long standing tradition is of decorating coconuts to throw on parade day ......they brought coconuts for everyone with all the materials to decorate them...it was such a wonderful time for me to sit back and watch these talented people display their artistic talents!!!
Enjoy the photos!!!!!!




Today I made pancakes!!!!!!

Shrove Tuesday is the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday which is the first day of Lent. It's a day of penitence, to clean the soul, and a day of celebration as the last chance to feast before Lent begins. But there's more to Shrove Tuesday than pigging out on pancakes or taking part in a public pancake race. The pancakes themselves are part of an ancient custom with deeply religious roots.

Penitence


Shrove Tuesday gets its name from the ritual of shriving that Christians used to undergo in the past. In shriving, a person confesses their sins and receives absolution for them. When a person receives absolution for their sins, they are forgiven for them and released from the guilt and pain that they have caused them. In the Catholic or Orthodox context, the absolution is pronounced by a priest. This tradition is very old. Over 1000 years ago a monk wrote in the Anglo-Saxon Ecclesiastical Institutes:

In the week immediately before Lent everyone shall go to his confessor and confess his deeds and the confessor shall so shrive him.

Shrove Tuesday celebrations


Shrove Tuesday is a day of celebration as well as penitence, because it's the last day before Lent. Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that aren't allowed in Lent. Giving up foods: but not wasting them. In the old days there were many foods that observant Christians would not eat during Lent: foods such as meat and fish, fats, eggs, and milky foods. So that no food was wasted, families would have a feast on the shriving Tuesday, and eat up all the foods that wouldn't last the forty days of Lent without going off.

The need to eat up the fats gave rise to the French name Mardi Gras; meaning fat Tuesday. Pancakes became associated with Shrove Tuesday as they were a dish that could use up all the eggs, fats and milk in the house with just the addition of









Rob is also a computer whiz and he is going to look at my computer tomorrow because even though I had a new hard drive installed the computer still freezes up..so hopefully Rob can help with that!!

I am still not up to going out but I may try a short walk later on today after I watch a live international soccer game ....

I found this photo on my desk top and I really like it ..of course I am being silly but why not????



Yashi Kochi!!!

4 comments:

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Easy does it, hope you'll be back to your good old self soon...

mexicokid said...

yes every day I feel a little stronger......thanks les

Rick said...

Laissez le bon temps rouler!

Dee Tillotson said...

Yes, let the good times roll!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...