Friday, December 08, 2017

Friday 8th December 2017....Friday hike!!!


This is sort of a day to myself and around 9.30 am I was on the road going for a nice hike...the weather was sunny and warm and makes me think of my family in England where some parts of the country have snow and Linda  who wrote me this morning from Tucson where it was 33 degrees!!!
I fisrt walked down to the train station and joined the track there...

 The trail I was on goes along the railway tracks and passes this small soccer field...
 What is funny is they have about 6 of these chairs around the field and they are all made of concrete!!!

What is that in the distance is it a castle??
 Yep!!! It sure is!!!!!

 There are many stories around town about the building and ownership of this place.......

A businessman....a crooked businessman!!!
A drug dealer..... a crooked drug dealer!!
A politician.....a crooked politician!!!!
A lawyer...a crooked lawyer!!!

Take your pick!!

I was back home just 2 hours later and on my phone I have an App called My Tracks, which I really like...it tracks your route with a map
and also stats!!!

You can see I walked just over 10.2 km....a good time!!

One thing to tell you......In San Miguel a wonderful Canadian couple, Sharon and John have for the past several years done the 3 Kings Day......

3 Kings Day is usually January 6th and  it is when the local kids receive a gift...many children that attend schools in the Campo receive nothing and Sharon and John have set up donation boxes in many stores and restaurants asking for gifts...then usually on New Year's eve about 30 people meet and wrap all the gifts and label them for girl or boy and what age...and then on the 4th January we go out in convoy and distribute these gifts in the Campo.....They have really mastered this down to all details including costumes for 3 men to dress as Kings to give away the gifts.....last year we did over 1000 gifts..

This year Sharon and John due to other selfless commitments are unable to do this and they asked for someone to take over and no one offered...

I thought about it and I have decided to take on the task but in on a smaller scale and a slightly different format...

I have advertised on the civil list, word of mouth and by e mails to my many contacts here in town to step up to the plate and each buy three gifts.  One of the problems in previous years because the gifts were all donated some gifts cost more than others so to eliminate and try to make the gifts of equal value I have asked my friends and contacts to but a gift or gifts at the 150 pesos price range and I have also asked them to gift wrap it with a label stating age and gender, which will free up a lot of work.

The response as been really good I am targeting 300 gifts.....I have a contact in the community who will find out which schools in the Campo that  are more needy and try to get gifts to kids in those schools on January 5th....once I have the number of children and gender and age I can ask for the gifts to be bought more specifically for that range.

It is a big undertaking but one I want to do and know I can....there are so many generous people in this community so I am hoping many children will at least get the pleasure of a small gift this holiday season.

If you want to contribute please e mail me at mexicokid99@yahoo.ca  and I would be happy to buy the gifts and wrap them for you.....

Have a great weekend ,...les

Yashi Kochi!!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...