Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Tuesday 7th August 2012…homework assignment!!!!

Had a great sleep and after cleaning my teeth and a wash I went out in search of breakfast something to eat to have with the milk I bought last night.

DSCF4421H shows the location of the hotel….

 

The area looks different in the light not seedy but just a working neighborhood and I found this cart selling pastry that looked like mini croissants so I bought some and came back and had them they were filled with chicken and very tasty and a long drink of light milk and sandwiches and drinks ready and I was set for the day.

The homework is for you to Google Istanbul and read up on this huge, 20 million population city that sits on two Continents and is diverse, intense, busy and yet very friendly……some of the places I visited the photos do not do justice and I marveled and sat quietly thrilled to be in such a wonderful city.

With research I decided the Hop on hop off bus tour first thing would be the best to get my bearings even if I was reluctant to get on another bus!!!

.  So I took the local tram two stops and found the Hop on bus bus and drove around for 90 minutes crossing the Bosphorus bridge

DSCF4454

into Asia…..so now on this trip I have visited 15 different countries and  two Continents…how incredible!!!

DSCF4423

DSCF4434

DSCF4435

DSCF4429

DSCF4430

Again the photos do not pick up the colors and the quality and vastness of this special building.

DSCF4436

DSCF4437

DSCF4438

It was fun walking through here the smells were lovely and the tradespeople all offering the best Turkish delight!!!!!

DSCF4439

I did find some lovely gardens away from the dash and dazzle of the tourist areas!!

DSCF4440

The Blue Mosque!!!!

DSCF4441

DSCF4442

DSCF4493

As in other fascinating buildings on my travels I just found a quiet area and sat and thought about “stuff”.  This was a Mosque I shall never forget!!!

DSCF4472

Google this one!!!!

No photos but a place that just boggles the mind!!!!

DSCF4480

DSCF4485

Another amazing place…

I found my way back to the hotel by 6pm and was almost overwhelmed  by everything I had seen I realize that the photos are not the best it just seemed that these memories will be in my mind which works for me…..

I had a rest….. read my book and then went out walking again looking for supper.

DSCF4497

DSCF4499

I enjoy watching the local entrepreneurs!!!

DSCF4501

DSCF4502

DSCF4504

DSCF4500

That was a long hot day..this city is so big that there is no way I can see everything so I tried to pick out the highlights today and tomorrow my plan is to go to the Topkapi Palace, which was closed today, then the Grand Bazaar come back for a rest then take a 5pm boat cruise finishing off with a sunset which will be a fitting end for my last day!!!

You have heard me mention before my good school buddy Ian and his son Luke who is a TSN commentator…. this report is from Luke..although being an ex official I am not fond of reports that blame the referee and not seeing the game I cannot comment…. but it is a well written report and Canada seems to have been very unlucky…. good job Luke!!!

 

 

 

Wileman: Canada Falls To USA After Spirited Performance

 
  • Luke Wileman, TSN

    It was a match for the ages. A brave, spirited performance from underdogs, denied a famous win in controversial circumstances at one of world soccer’s most iconic venues. It was one of the most enthralling games you are ever likely to see.

    Monday’s semi-final at the London 2012 Olympic Games left Canada heartbroken after a stoppage time winner in extra-time took the United States to the gold medal match later this week. A 4-3 defeat to the number one ranked team in the world is certainly no disgrace, but the manner in which the game was lost left the Canadians feeling cheated.

    The major discussion point was the decision by the Norwegian referee Christina Pederson to award an indirect free kick to the U.S. inside the penalty area, which ultimately led to Abby Wambach tying the game for a third time with ten minutes of normal time left to play.

    Canada goalkeeper Erin McLeod was penalized for holding the ball for more than six seconds, a call that rarely gets made in soccer. The only mitigating circumstance would have been if the referee had warned McLeod on a previous occasion during play that if she did that again she would be penalized.

    I’ve got no problem with the six second rule, but if that’s the rule, it has to get called every time. It doesn’t. If it did there would likely be indirect free kicks like that on numerous occasions. It seemed such a random call, which is the main reason for Canada’s frustration. As for the penalty call for handball, it’s a lottery. Yes it was harsh, but you see those calls given or ignored depending on the referee.

    Those two decisions went against Canada, but the referee had a poor game throughout.

    It has to be said that while much of the focus was on the officiating, there were also a series of defensive mistakes that contributed to Canada’s downfall.

    The first U.S. goal just after halftime is one such example. There’s no way at any level of the game that a goal should be conceded straight from a corner as happened when Megan Rapinoe tied it at 1-1. But each time the U.S. scored, Canada managed to find a response - until the knockout blow in the third minute of stoppage time.

    Unfortunately, all the talk about the referee’s decisions overshadowed an incredible individual display from Christine Sinclair. We shouldn’t be surprised. Sinclair is world class and proved it once again on Monday. She is one of the greatest soccer players the women’s game has ever seen. She is the ultimate professional and a total team player.

    Sinclair’s hat-trick takes her total to 143 international goals all-time and her tally for 2012 now stands at 22. When asked after the match if she had a message for Canada’s fans, she said “sorry we let you down.” They didn’t let anyone down.

    Canada now has a chance to play for a medal against France on Thursday in Coventry. Before the tournament, that would have been seen as a success. Canada isn’t the most skillful team in the tournament, but they won’t be beaten when it comes to having the heart for a battle and representing their country with pride.

    The Herdman Effect

    Canada coach John Herdman deserves massive credit for the way he has got this team playing in the space of a year. I have had the chance to talk in depth with John on a number of occasions and he always comes across as someone who is very intelligent and thoughtful about the game. It starts with preparation. He leaves no stone unturned and is meticulous in his planning.

    Perhaps the biggest success of his tenure so far has been the way in which he has managed to change the mindset of this Canadian team. After finishing the Women’s World Cup last year in last place and without a win, Herdman inherited a despondent bunch of players. Over the last 12 months he has worked just as much on improving the mental aptitude of his squad as any other aspect of their game.

    Even on Monday morning ahead of kickoff in Manchester, the squad was working with the team’s mental trainer to prepare themselves fully for the task ahead. Herdman needed to ensure his players believed they could win against the United States and that they weren’t just there to make up the numbers. We saw on the pitch at Old Trafford that the message was received loud and clear.

    1 comment:

    assignments web said...

    Thank you for your valuable writing, it is really very useful. I hope for many more valuable posts from your great writing. assignmentsweb.

    Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

     This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...