Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Tuesday 19th January 2016........getting my bearings!!!

Had a good sleep it was warm but not uncomfortably so......a few days ago on line I booked a walking tour with a greeter service provided by the local Tourism office.....the tour is free and I was booked for 9.30am this morning.....
Right outside the apartment door is a tram stop and I got on the tram for about 10 minutes and then got off and got on another tram for 2 minutes and I was right down town at the tourist office.
I was introduced to Glenn and with 4 other tourists Glenn took us on a 4 hour tour of down town....this is a great way to get an orientation of the city and to learn about the history and the quirky little facts...Glenn was excellent and very knowledgeable..here are a few shots!!

 For those of my readers who are not sport fans(are there any?) the first of the grand slams of tennis is being played in Melbourne for the next two weeks and Glenn informed us that these two weeks are the busiest on the tourist calendar of all events..so everywhere there are bars and public places with big screens showing the tennis!!!

Many beautiful buildings but with really not a long history mainly because the European settlers only came in the mid 1800's...


We walked through a small maze of streets where murals had taken over...quite interesting!!

 This shot above is of a very posh French hotel where the tennis William sisters are staying..very well appointed and we went up to the 39th floor where there is a restaurant with sweeping views of down town and the surrounding areas but Glenn told us to go into the washrooms because the best views were from the windows in there....and he was right!!!!
 In the photo above check out the small blue area above the top of the peak on the right hand side of the high rise...that is the tennis stadium and here on zoom!!!
We really did cover a lot of the downtown core


It was a wonderful tour....



It did last for 4 hours and I enjoyed the tour and Glenn!!
Took the same route back home except in reverse and it only took 20 minutes....
I relaxed on the couch had something to eat watching live tennis on the big screen TV in the apartment until it was time to get back on the Tram and go back down town where I had arranged to meet my friends Serena and Scott...you remember I met them a few weeks ago in NZ....we went to a local sports bar chatted had a pizza whilst watching tennis.....great to see them again and safe travels to you....
So a wonderful time in a tennis crazy city!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...