Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Tuesday 26th April 2016...contrasting hikes!!!!

I found this on the Internet last night!!!!
This is certainly one of Knysna's hidden gems and I am fortunate to have heard about it. Although it is a relatively short walk, only 3.6km, the hills and descents are very steep. It is advised that you wear proper shoes, keep your flip-flops for the beach. Be sure to take your camera and eats because when you reach the Homtini River the rewards are satisfying and you will want to spend some time there. The waters of the river are very refreshing and is a great idea to take your swim wear for a dip in the summer. The depth of the big pool hasn't been established and diving is not recommended. Don't be so engrossed with the river and entertaining rock pools that you miss seeing the stalactites and stalagmites in the 'cellar'. Take care on the rocks as they can be slippery.  The discolouration of the water is caused by tannins and humic acids from leaves on the forest floor. Take your time to check out all the different shapes and colours of fungi on dead trees and listen to the birds. Enjoy your hike!

Sounded like something I should do and after breakfast packed up and the directions were great I found the trail head right away but I was way off the grid and two problems arose right away.....first where to park as these signs were all down one side of the path

I did find a spot close to a tree that I thought would be Baboon proof....the next problem was at the hike entrance was this sign!!


I had driven about 20 km to get here and I did not feel like driving all the way back to town and then out again so I ventured on with my story ready for the warden if I met one!!!!
The hike was only short one but downhill which was hard going as it was slippery but my trekking pole helped and soon I got to the river and the pools..unfortunately with the lack of sun and shadows and the black water the photos are not the best but believe me it was so lovely being there on my own, so peaceful and the water glistening a nice start to my day!!!
You know I like signs with arrows!!





The hike back up was much easier than going down and when I returned to the car it was baboon free but I did see some in the fields close by!!!
My next hike was going to be a 9km beach hike and again I found the trail head easily and oh my what a wonderful sight one of the nicest stretches of open beach and pounding waves I have seen!!!




 So I started walking on this beach it was great...I had it all to myself and after about 6 km I decided it was time to stop for lunch and after lunch I needed to have one swim in the Indian Ocean......
There I was in the middle of this exquisite beach surrounded by sand ocean and no people so I decided it was time for a skinny dip.......NOW

You have been warned the next photo does not contain partial nudity

IT CONTAINS total nudity   (may my Mum forgive me)


READY????


I did not last long in the water it was refreshingly cool!!!!!  Back on the beach towel put my shorts on and fell asleep even with the pounding surf crashing in the distance..
!!!!
Life is good!!!!


Eventually hiked back to the car but on the way back I decided to test my new acquired  tracking skills..

I deduced that this was the track of a white woman about 35 years of age wearing a blue top, red shorts and pink runners!!! The track was fresh maybe 5 minutes old and she was moving left!!!!
How was that????  I am getting good at this although I did have some help with this as she ran right past me!!

After two great hikes I decided in all honesty I should go to the national parks office and pay for a permit for my first hike......I located the office back in town and spoke to a nice lady and I told her what i had done and she said that was honest of me to come in and then she asked if that was my favorite team, referring to the soccer shirt I was wearing and of course I said yes number ONE!!!!..She smiled and looked at me and said today was my lucky free day and waived the permit.....I like to think my Pearson charms came through again but I am sure it was the shirt!!!
I arrived home around 4pm after a great day and i was sitting outside on the patio having tea when I looked over to the house across the street to see this

As I watched he climbed along the ledge a window was open and in he went!!!  Came out about 20 seconds later with a tube of toothpaste in his mouth...I like that a cheeky monkey who is concerned about his dental hygiene.... too funny!!!!
You must admit my days are not boring!!!
I had a great shower and soup for dinner and you will pleased to know that there is no English premier league soccer on for me to watch tonight.......BUT...there is a live European cup semi final game to watch and starting in 5 minutes so sorry have to run!!!!

Before I go this is a long but I found interesting read for a few reasons......firstly that so many innocent people lost their lives and it occurred in my home town of Sheffield and I had in 1969 done crowd control at this stadium and also the officer in charge when this incident occurred was in the same training class as myself!!!

Hillsborough inquests: Fans unlawfully killed, jury concludes


  •  
  • From the se


Media captionThe families of many of those killed sang "You'll Never Walk Alone" outside court

Ninety-six football fans who died as a result of a crush in the 1989 Hillsborough disaster were unlawfully killed, the inquests have concluded.
The jury found match commander Ch Supt David Duckenfield was "responsible for manslaughter by gross negligence" due to a breach of his duty of care.
Police errors also added to a dangerous situation at the FA Cup semi-final.
After a 27-year campaign by victims' families, the behaviour of Liverpool fans was exonerated.
The jury found they did not contribute to the danger unfolding at the turnstiles at the Leppings Lane end of Sheffield Wednesday's ground on 15 April 1989.
Nine jurors reached unanimous decisions on all but one of the 14 questions at the inquests into Britain's worst sporting disaster.
The coroner Sir John Goldring said he would accept a majority decision about whether the fans were unlawfully killed - seven jurors agreed they were.
When the conclusion of the unlawful killing was revealed, families were seen hugging each other in the public gallery and some punched the air.



Margaret Aspinall reacts outside courtImage copyrightEPA
Image captionProminent campaigner Margaret Aspinall reacted outside court
Hillsborough familiesImage copyrightReuters
Image captionRelatives of the victims embraced following the unlawful killing conclusion

When considering how each of the 96 victims died the jury concluded many died well after 15:15 on the day of the match.
The coroner at the original inquest, Dr Stefan Popper, said he would not hear any evidence relating to deaths beyond that time because he believed all the victims had died, or suffered fatal injuries, by then.
The new inquests jury found the direct medical cause of death was compression asphyxia in all but three of the victims.
The earliest time of death was estimated at 14:57 and the last up to 17:00.
Tony Bland, the 96th victim, died in 1993 after being left brain damaged, due to or as a consequence of compression asphyxia.

The jury also concluded:

  • Police errors caused a dangerous situation at the turnstiles
  • Failures by commanding officers caused a crush on the terraces
  • There were mistakes in the police control box over the order to open the Leppings Lane end exit gates
  • Defects at the stadium contributed to the disaster
  • There was an error in the safety certification of the Hillsborough stadium
  • South Yorkshire Police (SYP) and South Yorkshire Ambulance Service delayed declaring a major incident
  • The emergency response was therefore delayed
  • Sheffield Wednesday failed to approve the plans for dedicated turnstiles for each pen
  • There was inadequate signage at the club and misleading information on match tickets
  • Club officials should have requested a delay in kick off as they were aware of a huge number of fans outside shortly before the game was due to start

At the scene: Judith Moritz, BBC News




Relatives sing following conclusionsImage copyrightReuters

The families clapped as the jury left the Hillsborough inquests in Warrington. One woman shouted "God bless the jury."
There were lots of tears as lawyers hugged the families and the shadow home secretary Andy Burnham hugged the families in court.
There were lawyers crying, Andy Burnham was crying and the families were hugging. People said they couldn't take in the enormity of it all.
Trevor Hicks, whose daughters Sarah and Vicky died, told me: "We've done it."
A spontaneous chorus of "You'll Never Walk Alone" was sung outside the courtroom as people raised Liverpool flags above their heads.




Hillsborough familiesImage copyrightReuters
Image captionMany family members and supporters reacted with jubilation

Leading campaigners Margaret Aspinall and Trevor Hicks were seen hugging each other in tears.
Ms Aspinall, whose 18-year-old son James died in the disaster, said: "I think we have changed a part of history now - I think that's the legacy the 96 have left."
Barry Devonside, father of Christopher who died aged 18, said: "I never thought in my wildest dreams that we would get this decision.
"We did our best - we couldn't do any more."
A statement on behalf of all of the families said the jury's conclusions "completely vindicate" the long fight for justice.
It added it has brought "significant progress on the journey... and sense of closure to the bereaved".
Prime Minister David Cameron called it a "landmark day" and said the inquests "provide long overdue justice".
He paid tribute to the "extraordinary courage of Hillsborough campaigners in their long search for the truth".



Relative reacts to Hillsborough conclusionsImage copyrightReuters
Image captionThere were emotional scenes outside the courtroom following the conclusions

Current SYP Chief Constable David Crompton said the force "got the policing... catastrophically wrong".
He said his force "unequivocally" accepts the conclusions of unlawful killing and the wider findings.
"As I have said before, I want to apologise unreservedly to the families and all those affected."



Hillsborough relativeImage copyrightPA
Image captionA relative holds up a photo of Keith McGrath, who died in the Hillsborough disaster, outside the Hillsborough inquests in Warrington

The police response to the increasing crowd outside the Leppings Lane turnstiles at Liverpool's match against Nottingham Forest was "slow and uncoordinated", the inquests in Warrington, Cheshire, heard.
The road closure "exacerbated" the situation and there were no filter cordons in place to regulate the movement of spectators.
Attempts to close the perimeter gates were made too late and there were no contingency plans for the "sudden arrival" of a large number of fans, the jury said.
Jurors concluded the commanding officers should have ordered the closing of the tunnel which led directly to the central pens where the fatal crush occurred.

Analysis

Clive Coleman, BBC legal correspondent

"A lot of evidence has come to light here and in the police investigation. The inquest has done its job and now the criminal justice system takes over.
"They [Independent Police Complaints Commission] are looking at both organisations and individuals. The unlawful killing conclusion that we have had today the route to it was considering the actions of match commander David Duckenfield.
"The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) can consider a prosecution against David Duckenfield."

The CPS said: "In due course the CPS will formally consider whether any criminal charges should be brought against any individual or corporate body based upon all the available evidence."
A criminal investigation into the disaster, Operation Resolve, is being led by Assistant Commissioner Jon Stoddart.

Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...