Thursday, February 11, 2016

Thursday 11th February 2016...a short road trip!!!

Forgot to include this on yesterday's blog....even though I am not Catholic I do like to take part in these celebrations..

Ash Wednesday

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For other uses, see Ash Wednesday (disambiguation).
Ash Wednesday, a day of fasting, is the first day of Lent in Western Christianity. It occurs 46 days (40 fasting days, if the six Sundays, which are not days of fast, are excluded) before Easter and can fall as early as 4 February or as late as 10 March. Ash Wednesday is observed by many Western Christians, including AnglicansLutheransMethodistsPresbyterians, and Roman Catholics.[note 1][1]
According to the canonical gospels of MatthewMark and LukeJesus Christ spent 40 days fasting in the desert, where he endured temptation by Satan.[2] Lent originated as a mirroring of this, fasting 40 days as preparation for Easter. Every Sunday was seen as a commemoration of the Sunday of Christ's resurrection and so as a feast day on which fasting was inappropriate. Accordingly, Christians fasted from Monday to Saturday (six days) during six weeks and from Wednesday to Saturday (four days) in the preceding week, thus making up the number of 40 days.[3]
Ash Wednesday derives its name from the practice of blessing ashes made from palm branches blessed on the previous year's Palm Sunday, and placing them on the heads of participants to the accompaniment of the words "Repent, and believe in the Gospel" or "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return".[4]

So I am going to do what I did last year and I started yesterday for Lent I am giving up desserts and home baked goodies!!!!





So I was up and at it this morning and on the road by 9.30am but before I left town I stopped in at the library to check e mails and I am so glad I did....
After living in Mexico for over three years now people often ask me why I chose to live in such a dangerous country....I know how to politely answer that question now but one of the other reasons I give for living there is the way that almost everyday some small occurrence takes place that costs nothing but brings joy to my heart and soul...well I had one of those moments in the library this morning.
I was sitting at a desk on the computer when I hear these wee small voices singing "If you're happy and you know it clap your hands"....I stopped and got up peaked around the corner to see this sight

The reason why this resonated with me was because a few years ago when I was still associated with the girls home Casa Hogar in San Miguel for one winter I volunteered and drove 5 kindergarten girls to school everyday and then picked them up again after school....what a joy that was and I had them lined up in the back seat and as we drove to school I would give them a small tube of hand lotion and they would cream their hands and faces for school....but over the weeks I taught them to sing on the way to school and that song is the one I taught them of course in English.....so for 4 months I drove them as soon as they got in the car they asked for "CREAMA" and then we sang......so hearing that song this morning was one of those priceless moments!!!




Only a short 125 km drive to the lovely old city of Ballarat!!
I had done some research and saw that there was a 6 km walking trail around the lake that was close to the town center...so I found a shady parking spot and off I went to
It was a perfect day and I needed a hike after missing one yesterday enjoy the shots of the lake!!!




A very strange craft!!





I think they are black swans!!
My lunch spot!!!


I really enjoyed this walk..driving back through town I noticed this church ...I have seen many churches in many countries but I do not recall having ever seen one with a green steeple...



Around 5pm I was pulling up to the residence where I was staying the night about 7km outside of town and another airbnb gem.....Kate my hostess is quite lovely and friendly and my room and private bathroom is 12 out 10!!!!!


Fresh flowers, chocolates and bottled water...

Guess where I spent a good hour?????
What a lovely home.....well all my chores are done and I am going to sit down in the gorgeous living room and Kate has found the Netflix channel for me...tea and cookies and this boy is a happy camper!!!
Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...