Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Tuesday 10th June 2014...Camino day 7!!!

Good morning or afternoon depending where you are you better get a glass or cup of your favorite beverage I feel a long post coming on. So after I posted last night I begged some more milk and had a glorious cup of tea. Another lady pilgrim arrived late so including me there were 7 of us and they all opted for a lower bunk so I took the one most out of the way, hard to do, upper bunk. I have been privileged in my life to meet some very interesting and some famous people especially sports personalities so I was shocked when I realized I was in the presence of the entire French sincrinizded Olympic snoring team!!!!!!!!!! It was like a melody of sorts and I think it has put the final nail in the coffin of me staying in hostels unless there is no other place.....after a hard days walk I do need some solitude and I sure need my sleep and I guess I will never understand the logic of setting your alarm for 5.45am and getting up rustling those plastic bags and the zip and unzipping of the back packs and leave around 7.30am....it makes no sense because the hostels usually do not open till 4pm so they are just hanging around town waiting for this. Today is a prime example I was the last one to leave after having a great egg sandwich and milk laden tea and was on the road by 8am.....it is not a race but I finally passed them all around noon....so i think private is the way for me to go more expensive but well worth it....I do not want to sound like I am complaining and some of the people I have spoken to part of their journey is the hostel life.....after one week what I feel about myself is that I really enjoyed walking the first whole day with Matt but after that I am really happy walking on my own of course I socialize with every one and the ones I pass I always walk their speed and talk for a few minutes...for example with Eliza we would walk together for a while and then separate and no ones feelings were hurt. This morning the sun had gone and was replaced by dark clouds and cooler temperatures but great to walk. These boys seem happy especially when I am feeding them! When I see one of these rigs I always think of Roy.. ..I had the honor of spending 6 years taking him out every week day he was one of the three most wonderful, honorable and loving men I have known. He started out with nothing and became a multi millionaire owning a fleet of logging trucks......the hours we spent together he could not remember due to his illness but his smile was infectious and when we would meet people who knew him they were always kind to him and Roy would smile sometimes when I saw those same people again in the restaurant where I worked they would tell me that Roy was a true gentleman and in his business no contracts were made just handshakes......rest in hockey heaven Roy!! Quite flat and easy and walked through a couple of towns A Mexican Tope or speed bump!! So I was humbled again today when Brian from London came walking towards me and stopped He has taken the Interior route to Santiago another 850km and now is on his way back but going on the same route as me but in reverse so another 850km and it must be so hard to follow the directions going the opposite way...we chatted for a few minutes and finally I meet someone with the same feelings..he told me he stopped using the hostels after about 6 days same complaint as I have!!!! Way to go good luck!! and then the next 10km by the side of a not busy highway before entering the woods again for the final high climb of the Camino for me 1200 feet and opening up to the views of the spectacular city Bilbao!!! Eliza if you read this today I left a message for you on the way which you will I hope see tomorrow. It was a downhill walk to the city center and i found the Tourist office and the young lady was so very helpful she showed me how to get to Estitxu's house, where to get fresh fruit at a big market, where tomorrow I can get the tourist hop on and hop off bus, the best way to see a new city and get your bearings and then I asked if there was a pool in the centre and she directed me to a huge indoor swimming pool right down town ...... if anyone has the nerve to comment on my sticky out ears, lack of muscles or buck teeth there will be a life time blog ban and i mean it this time!!!! unfortunately there was no hot tubs but I flayed and played in the water for an hour good tonic and then a 20 minute hot shower and I felt really good. On the way to the pool I passed this place and it looked so inviting MMM good and the best burger for years!!!!!!! I did not know that Bimbo was here in Europe it is bread company owned by the second richest man in the world a Mexican Carlos Slim!! Estitxu will not be home till 8.30pm so I had lots of time and just took my time eating relaxing and writing this. From here I will go back to the Tourist office and post it and then it will be time to walk to the flat where I know I shall have 2 good nights sleep. Today was an easy walk of 25km and it was just a week ago that Malc was dropping me off at Manchester ...boy I have done a lot since then!! So about Rafa winning the French Open again what an athlete and what about them Kings one game away from the Stanley Cup...if you do not know what that is well...........what can I say Google it!!! What I learned today : Going down hill especially steep downhill is harder The women in this country are very beautiful The women in this country are very beautiful and they smoke!!!! I still have the best friends I am going to enjoy tomorrow I don't like Nike but I do like their logo.."Just do it" I cannot go into much detail but there was one part of my life I needed to sort out in my heart and mind and after 6 days I think I have....I know i can only control my thoughts my actions and my dreams and the roads I travel and i will.... Well tomorrow the boots will get a well deserved rest and I am looking forward to the day. I am receiving so many e mails of good wishes and I thank you all for them and for those few of my so called friends will you stop e mailing me and telling me what you had for supper!!! Yashi Kochi!!!

3 comments:

Croft said...

Enjoy your rest Les, you deserve it! It never ceases to amaze me that an old man like you can do all this. ;)

mexicokid said...

will you ever say anything nice about me???? at least you made no comment about my BODY!!!! glad you are doing Ok cheers les

Croft said...

Well, we ARE both cheering the KINGS!!!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...