Monday, June 23, 2014

Monday 23rd June 2014.....Camino Day 20!!!

I was a tired pilgrim and had a wonderful sleep till 7am and got up and went straight into the tub for a good soak and then fixed up my leg and ankle still a bit of a shin splint going on but with the icing and the gel and taping it is good for today....went down for a nice breakfast and as usual some things found their own way into my lunch bag and I was on the road by 8.,30am and already sunny and warm...... Not to much to see today and again a lot of pavement walking The English pilgrimKevin it seems I run into him every second day!! this church is the oldest on the Camino built in 921 pity it was not open!! There are 100's of thse buidings everywhere and they are used for storing veggies and such it seems to me they would hold the heat and should maybe underground but I am sure the farmers know what they are doing!!! After 25 km i was ready to turn in for the day and i was in a fairly big town called Villaiciosa which is the cider capital of Spain and these markers are all over the sidewalks!! I asked where the tourism office was and sat down on a bench to get my bearings when who turns the corner???? Yes Eliza!!! It was good to see her again because we parted last night quickly and I knew she was tired and upset with loosing her boot so we sat for about 20 minutes and said goodbye and she heads into the mountains but i will see her in Santiago on the 11th July Buen Camino GIRL!!!! I stopped at this nice looking hotel with a funny sign outside and as always the Camino provides with another 20 Euro fabulous room complete with sitting room, pilgrim's foot bath and tub..I borrow ice and milk and off to my room The corridor outside my room!!! .....did laundry and then tea and then a 30 minute snooze and then one hour in the tub...tendered to my leg and then then went out looking for the tourism office and found it and the kind lady working there. The next stage of the Camino according to my book is all pavement with hills and through a huge industrialized area and into the big city of Gijon and then leaving that city is also of the same and even the book suggests taking a bus through this stage so that is exactly what I will do tomorrow I still consider myself a pilgrim. After I left there I found a nice bar and had dinner and watched these ladies who were so smartly dressed in a bar drinking and playing cards whilst the Spanish soccer game was blaring above their heads too funny.... Then came home and turned on the TV and the same game was on and Spain managed to win!!! SO had another cup of tea and doing this post then will watch the Mexico game and go to bed. Eliza had a great idea which I am going to copy she is going to get a tattoo when she finishes of the Camino experience and i thought what a great idea and I shall do the same...so a contest for you faithful readers with a first prize of a year's free subscription to the blog. You have to guess what the tattoo will be and where it will be!!!!!!! These are the distances I have covered and what is left. .what a journey I am having. I want to thank all my friends for sending me e mails with words of encouragement it makes my heart happy to see mail in my in box...blessings!! Things I learned today. Surprises always happen. Life is so good. The body is an amazing machine. My friends..what can I say...they are the best Ice tea and chips tonight watching soccer will be a treat I shall enjoy!! Yashi Kochi!!!

4 comments:

Kevin Read said...

I missed a few posts, so maybe you've already explained this... why is it that you have to do so much distance every day? Does it have to do with the spacing of suitable accommodations? Or is there something else?

mexicokid said...

Basically you go at your own speed not a race but it is 850 km so i usually do around 25km per day my body is good with that and I always find places to stay for example tonight i paid 28 dollars for a fabulous room with bath tub great bed spotless and breakfast in the morning beats those snory hostels...it is something you and Ruth may want to consider cheers les

Croft said...

I see I am the first contestant for your contest. My first suggestion was shot down in your email (spoil sport), so I am reduced to suggesting a tattoo of a very large blister on your foot, complete with thread. I am looking forward to my free subscription to your Blog after having been banned from it several times in the past.

mexicokid said...

you are correct in your blog banning but incorrect in the tattoo competiton keep trying big guy!!Les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...