Saturday, June 28, 2014

Saturday 28th June 2014..Camino Day 25!!!

I was tired last night and asleep by 11pm and slept through till 7am did my usual morning chores and then went downstairs to breakfast which was a huge dis appointment because there was no breakfast...no point getting angry at the young lady working and the language barrier was an issue so i just politely said thanks and left...i had grapes, apple and banana and granola bars so i ate and walked. The weather looked ominus and I knew the days of not using my raincoat were coming quickly to an end. Did you know that Little Bluey who I do miss also has another second cousin here in Spain...guess what her name is???? The Camino showed me again how it provides and the yellow arrows also showed me a lesson early this morning. I had walked maybe 30 minutes and a long 30 minutes because the way out of town was uphill you saw from the photos yesterday they build these towns on the steep banks of the hill side and the town centres are in the valley well you always have to climb up to get out but a good start to the morning to break a sweat. Shortly after I was on a country road with a few farm houses here and there and I must have been deep in thought because as I passed this farm house the lady came running out with a big stick shouting at me.......I thought this is it headlines in the SMA newspaper Pilgrim Pearson attacked by raging woman on Camino!!!! As I could gather from the words I understood I was on the wrong road and needed to go back 100 yards and turn left.......I was almost certain that I was not because I had been following the arrows but she was very persuasive so I turned around walked back down the road and where she had told me to turn sure enough there was a yellow arrow a little bit hidden on a tree....so i turned and looked back and the woman was on the balcony waving to me and I am sure she was smiling because I know I was..the way provides. Then it started to come the RAIN and again the Camino provided..it suddenly opened up as I was passing a farmhouse that looked desserted but had this like canopy tent set up in the front yard.. perfect for a pilgrim to unload his pack get his pack covered and his raincoat on without getting wet......these incidents are so uplifting. So the next three hours were a combination of road walking, trails through the woods and one point trying to cross a stream all in the rain but just not any rain really heavy nasty rain. I tried to take some photos and I fear I may have got some water in my camera!!! What I forgot to mention was last night when I was planning my route I decided the time was close for a day off and I checked the route and found that a town called Ribadeo is 2 days walk away, looks like a nice town and it is the last i shall see of the coast because from there I turn inland. So I went to the airbnb site and found a B & B right in town for two nights for 35 dollars a night so I have booked Sunday and Monday nights and look forward to that. On further checking I decided that today would only be a medium walk so I found a town called Navia that looked nice and went on to the Booking.com site and found a great 12 room hotel with ratings of over 9.....the rooms look real fancy and the reviews were awesome as was the breakfast which was included so I decided to splurge and book it for tonight..it was 35 Euros not even 50 dollars.....so I knew as I was walking in the down pour that I was only a couple of hours away from a great afternoon treat.....and really the walk of 24 km went by fast and the rain was not cold but so glad the hotel was right on the trail and the young lady owner wonderful..I sure hope my photos come out because this room has first class written all over it from electric kettle, tea bags, water, slippers,velvet sheets, tub, pilgrim foot bath. desk ....just so lovely like an old Victorian type home.....the lady could see that I was like a drowned cat and she asked me if i wanted coffee or anything so I just asked if I could have some milk and perhaps a crossaint as I was hungry and she said she would bring it to my room.....she came a few minutes later with a full cup of milk and on a tray a crossaint, a pasty and some apple cake!!!!!! I was straight into the Epsom salt bath with tea and cake on the side like a royal pilgrim!!!!!! It was wonderful...then it was laundry and trying to dry my shoes and back pack..funnily enough the rain has stopped and the sun is out and it looks like a nice little town I shall go for a stroll soon......nice TV in the room to watch the soccer games tonight and life is good...now if only I can dry my camera out I did use the hair dryer on a low cycle but I fear I may have damaged it. Well now 9pm and obviously thank goodness my camera is OK.....I did walk into town it is quite nice an old sea port and found some fixings for a light supper and came home and my shoes and back pack I think will be dry by tomorrow and I enjoyed my supper watching Brazil sneak a win into the next round on penalty shootouts.......I have had I think 4 cups of tea they provide an electric kettle many tea bags and a really nice mug this is for sure a 5 star place with 2 star prices looking forward to breakfast already. So today was different and I think I have been lucky having such great weather so no complaints here...... Things I learned today. People are kind. Pay attentionto the arrows not only on the way but in life. Tea, cake in a bath tub could be a habit that grows on me. I like my friends. My body is so good to me!!! Yashi Kochi!!!

2 comments:

sylvia said...

Enjoying everyday with you!

mexicokid said...

thanks it is a journey of a lifetime...les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...