Thursday, February 06, 2020

Thursday 6th February 2020...a special evening!!!

So the song goes ..blue skies nothing but blue skies..

Hope the cold and wet days are behind us now......the sun shone for the whole two hours of tennis!!!


I came home and got changed and then went to pick up Gail and Bill two good friends from Nova Scotia who are visiting for five weeks.


I had received an email from the principal of one of the schools asking if it might be possible to make a small donation to the school as they were organizing a soccer tournament for the kids....of course they got me on kids and soccer!!!


So I took my friends for a ride into the country to the school and met the principle and was happy to find out that five other principals from schools we had delivered gifts were also there...the tournament is for all the schools....they were very friendly and we saw some of the kids we had given gifts to and they remembered me...I gave a donation and so did Gail and Bill, which was very kind of them..they enjoyed seeing the school and the kinder kids!!!


I then took them to the new park in town where they were holding the Candalaria..



Día de la Candelaria (Candlemas Day).

This religious holiday marks the 40th day after the birth of Jesus. Special masses involve the blessing of seeds for fertility and candles, representing the light of the world.

In San Miguel, Candlelaria is the unofficial beginning of spring and it’s become famous for and the plant flower sales held in the new park. Dozens of vendors line the walkways of the park, selling everything imaginable for the garden. People stroll the paths planning the year’s plantings. Young boys with wheelbarrows scurry about, carrying bedding plants and bougainvilleas, terra cotta planters and potting soil, to the cars and trucks parked on the street. In San Miguel, Candlelaria is the unofficial beginning of spring.

Also on this night, Mexican families have a traditional party. Whatever family member got the baby doll in the Rosca de Reyes bread on January 6th has to provide tamales and atole for the family party tonight. Atole is a delicious hot cornstarch drink that’s a bit like drinking hot thin pudding.






You buy your plants and then get them taken to your vehicle!!















Such a colourful and interesting time....


The dropped Gail and Bill at home and came back had a bite to eat, a shower and off to my last English class!!


Most of the students attended along with Gary who is going to be a great sub for me....


We spent most of the class talking about my trip and I gave them their final homework..


I wrote my email address on the board and also the link to my blog and told them for homework every week they have to write me a letter and I will correct and answer and they also have to look at my blog once a week and make some comments!!!


It is a tradition that I always get a birthday cake for them on or close to their birthdays and so far eight of my students already had birthdays..but for the four that have birthdays to come I decided to get them each a cake.....so I picked up five cakes from the bakery....

They loved them..

Iliana..because she went out of the country  for the very first time to 🇨🇦 Canada!!





Armando because by choice he is learning Japanese!!





Paty because she is a lawyer!!





Finally for Emetario because we have all encouraged him to walk every day..





 told them not to eat their cakes in class because I had this one made





And we each had a piece!!





This has been a wonderful class and I feel I have made another eleven great friendships!!


Yashi Kochi!!!

1 comment:

Indigo Blue said...

I'm catching up on your adventures, Les, over the last few years and I'm up to here. What a delightful class and what an amazing and kind-hearted teacher!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...