Saturday, March 29, 2014

Saturday 29th March 2014……Saturday so you know what that means!!!

My morning started at 7am with a protein drink and watching a live soccer game from England…and then I was off to play tennis which as you know by now is how I love to start my day…another good game and afterwards I went and paid my rent and then home for lunch and yes you guessed it another live soccer game from England.

After the game I went to see paola and she was home and all smiles and we went and picked up her bike and rode to her house.  I bought this bike for her 2 Christmases ago and she loves it and late last year she asked if I could leave it for her at her house and I did but unfortunately her older Brother wrecked the bike.  I picked it up and got if fixed and it has stayed at my place ever since.  I gave it some thought and I know she loves the bike and I am going to be gone for 4 months so I decided to let her keep it at the house.  I tried to tell her that she was responsible to take care of it……after I left her at home I went to get gas for the scooter and on the way home saw her riding her bike so it did not take her long to make use of it.

DSC02350

DSC02351-001

DSC02352

I came home and stripped my walk in closet out and sorted everything making it ready for when Stella arrives on Friday………then it was time for supper and I am now finishing the evening watching a live hockey game from Vancouver.

Hope you enjoy the article below and I hope to spend my Birthday walking to the top of the tower. 

It's the Eiffel Tower's 125th Birthday! Here's 10 Things You Didn't Know About It

eiffel tower

Pawel Libera

The Eiffel Tower

You might think you've heard all there is to know about the Eiffel Tower, which turns 125 today. But you might be surprised at some of the quirky things we've unearthed in its history:

1. The Eiffel Tower was built in two years, two months, and five days—a record back in the late 1880s. It was officially completed on March 31, 1889.

2. It was only supposed to last for 20 years. Gustave Eiffel had it built specifically to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the French Revolution.

3. It hasn't always been brown. It was briefly painted yellow in 1889, and from 1954 to 1961, it was painted a brownish-red color.

4. In the late 1920s and early 1930s, the Eiffel Tower acted as a billboard—three of its sides held advertisements for Citroën automobiles. No other brand has ever used the monument as an advertising medium.

5. The French originally hated it. A number of high-profile creatives and architects signed a petition to protest the tower during its construction. They called the tower "useless" and "monstrous."

6. It played a crucial role in the First World War, during the Battle of the Marne in 1914. Signals would actually be sent out from the top of the tower, directing the French troops to the front line.

7. In 1889, the French newspaper Le Figaro actually set up a printing press on the second floor of the Eiffel Tower.

8. The Eiffel Tower shrinks. Seriously, it's been measured. In the winter it is approximately four to eight inches shorter.

9. Welcoming around seven million visitors each year, it's the most visited monument in the world that you have to pay for. (The Empire State Building only draws around 3.5 million visitors each year).

10. Every night, every hour on the hour the tower is covered in golden lights and will sparkles for five whole minutes while the Eiffel Tower’s beam lights up the city. The best place to see the light show is from is Place du Trocadéro.

Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...