Saturday, March 22, 2014

Saturday 22nd March 2014…sports, then sports then culture and finish with sports!!!

Up at 6.30am and still have a little sore throat but watched a wonderful entertaining soccer game from England and here is some of the excitement… 

Referee Andre Marriner apology for Kieran Gibbs red card error

Referee Andre Marriner has apologised for sending off Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs by mistake during the Gunners' 6-0 defeat by league leaders Chelsea.

A penalty was awarded after Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain tipped Eden Hazard's shot around a post with his hand but Gibbs was shown the red card.

Oxlade-Chamberlain seemed to tell Marriner that he was the culprit but the original decision stood.

A statement read that Marriner was "disappointed" to have made the error.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

Referees' body the Professional Game Match Officials Limited said in the statement: "Incidents of mistaken identity are very rare and are often the result of a number of different technical factors.

_73746596_021623508-1

"Whilst this was a difficult decision Andre is disappointed that he failed to identify the correct player.

"He expressed his disappointment to Arsenal when he was made aware of the issue."

 

 

 

Left-back Gibbs seemed confused at receiving the red card, protesting his innocence, along with his team-mates, before leaving the field.

Hazard's shot was heading inches wide of goal before Oxlade-Chamberlain dived to his left to divert the ball with his fingertips.

Following his side's 6-0 loss, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger said the referee had not seen the incident.

"The ball went out and I think it's Chamberlain who touched the ball," said Wenger. "I don't know who gave indication to the referee that it was handball but he has certainly not seen it."

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho, added: "It is the kind of situation where if you have a TV, the fourth official could see it was not Gibbs. Unfortunately the wrong boy came off."

Marriner appeared to consult one of his assistants before awarding the penalty.

The Football Association tweeted clubs "can appeal mistaken identity, although the FA can pro-actively review also".

 

As a former referee I have some sympathy for Mr. Marriner when oh when will this sport use the video replay that every other major sports use!!!!

Off to tennis at 9am Carolyn and I played the couple we played last week..Carolyn is not fully energized but she did really well and we had a great two hours of tennis!!!!

Then went to see Paola and took her out to buy some groceries she seemed a little sad but I hope to see lots of her this week.

Home for lunch and watched another live soccer game and this also was a good game.

At 5.30pm Carolyn and I had tickets for an unusual concert but she called me to tell me that she was not feeling good enough to come and enjoy the concert so she stayed home and I hope you feel better tomorrow.

The concert was in the canyon floor behind my casita so I packed up some food and drink took a couple of pillows and off I went a hiking into the canyon.  I found a really good place to view the event and here are the shots…

DSC02261

DSC02264

DSC02265

DSC02269

DSC02270

DSC02273

DSC02276

DSC02282

DSC02284

It was a wonderful concert and the performers kept moving around amongst the crowd and the setting and the sounds were great…

I took this on the way home

DSC02294

Just as I pressed the shutter a large flash of lightening illuminated the skies it was an awesome sight and one I wished I had been able to capture with my camera.

So now 9pm and I am having tea and NO cookies still honoring my Lent promise and watching a one sided hockey game!!!

Yashi Kochi!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...