Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Tuesday 8th Aril 2014…Day 3 !!!

Croft sent me this shot of Norma and you know who!!!

blog

 
The Fountain

Fountain Hills has the world's fourth tallest fountain. The eponymous fountain was built in 1970, by Robert P. McCulloch, the year before the reconstruction of the London Bridge in Lake Havasu City, another of McCulloch's projects. The fountain sprays water for about 15 minutes every hour between 9am and 9pm. The plume rises from a concrete water-lily sculpture in the center of a large man-made lake. The fountain, driven by three 600 horsepower (450 kW) turbine pumps, sprays water at a rate of 7,000 US gallons (26,000 l; 5,800 imp gal) gallons per minute through an 18-inch (460 mm) nozzle. With all three pumps under ideal conditions, the fountain reaches 560 feet (170 m) in height,[7] though in normal operation only two of the pumps are used, with a fountain height of around 300 feet (91 m) feet. When built, it was the world's tallest fountain and held that record for over a decade.[8]

Cannot take credit for this shot as the fountain does not come on till 9am and I was way gone by then!!

So I was on the road by 8.15 am after having a nice cooked breakfast in the hotel and my first stop was the REI store…..and I found a great young man to help me and I was looking for a day pack for my hike I know I said I was going to use my old red day pack but I know that will not do anyway I had researched their store brand for 99 dollars and as soon as I tried it on I knew it was the right one  a perfect fit and I love it.  I then bought myself a great very light raincoat and with Stella’s advice a great small down pillow…….good shopping Mr.Pearson!!

Back on the road and got through phoenix without a problem and it was all interstate till I got to Quartzite where I knew I had to fill up with gas as California was only a few miles away and their prices are so high…so I filled up at 3.39 a gallon and sure enough when I crossed the State line it was 4.67….

I turned north at Blythe and followed the mighty Colorado for a while and ended up at Barstow where I am staying in Motel route 66…the room is OK not fancy at all but clean and hot water and wait for it…a round bed!!!!

It was a drive of 675 km and I felt good and no issues!!

Map picture

Barstow is a very run down un-thriving community….I went out for a long walk and on one of the wall murals I read about Rainbow Basin..it looked cool so when I got back to the room I googled it and then went and drove to it and it was beautiful the rock formations very different..glad I went.

Then back to the motel and I had a dinner of meatloaf and mashed potatoes it was a frozen dinner but the Boston brands are good and this was tasty..then a real long hot shower drinking my tea and all is well EXCEpT   when I do what I have done for years I have a problem.  I took my scan disk out of the camera and slot it into the computer and it usually goes to import into Picasa but this time it shows me a warning  “you need to format this disk in Drive F” and I cannot download my photos so sorry about that I think I need to check in at a Best Buy or somewhere similar tomorrow.

Day 3 was another good day!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!

3 comments:

living.boondockingmexico said...

Yep, we crossed California off the list this year as we head up to Canada. We can always go back there for a trip up the coast in a fly/rental package. Be safe and have fun!

mexicokid said...

thanks but I thought you were going to Yosemite...les

Croft said...

If you still have, or can buy, the short cable that came with the camera, use that cable to try to transfer your photos to the computer. After you have saved your photos, let the camera format the card.

If it cannot be formatted you might have to buy a new memory card. They are not expensive.

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...