Saturday, June 06, 2015

Saturday 6th June 2015…as promised a waterfall and TV!!!!!

Another good sleep I have been very lucky and I guess some skill involved in finding lovely homes and apartments and condos to stay in this trip and last night was no exception..the hosts were very lovely and the room very comfortable and  I was on the road by 8 o clock.

It was 130 km to Palouse Falls which in some books is listed as one of the top ten waterfalls in the USA….again I picked a day when the 10 dollar admission fee was waived and the weather was wonderful and sit back and enjoy these falls.

DSC03425

DSC03426

I talked with a ranger and she told me it was possible to hike to those pinnacles and the top of the falls and then very carefully climb down to the bottom so that is what I did.

DSC03430

DSC03431

DSC03438

This guy was sunning himself I think it is a badger but not sure!!!!

DSC03439

This was a difficult hike  first I had to get down to these small falls….then along a ledge and finally to the top of the falls!!

 

DSC03449

It is hard to imagine that 30 yards before this the water is calm and quiet…not now!!

DSC03422

Down stream the canyon…...

DSC03454

A close up of the pinnacles…

DSC03452

DSC03448

The zoom on my camera is amazing….

DSC03450

My next decision was did I want to try and scramble down to the bottom of the falls….the path was a bit dicey

DSC03474

DSC03458

They were on their way up….

I got here

DSC03459

and sat and thought about if I should try to go down and after a few minutes I decided to give it a go…it was hard getting down but made it and the views, the noise and the soaking from the spray made it all worth while!!!!

DSC03464

DSC03466

DSC03467

DSC03469

DSC03470

The climb back was easier than going down and I got back to the car hot and tired but thrilled…..went down to the look out and the notice board..

DSC03480

DSC03481

DSC03483

DSC03485

Now you need to go to You tube and enter kayak over Palouse falls and watch as this desperado goes over the falls!!!

It was then a drive of about two hours to this small old mining town of Roland where I had booked to stay for the night.

Let me set the scene first……I have been on the road almost three weeks and driven around 4500 km

DSC03516

Today’s drive

DSC03511

Most days I have tried to incorporate a hike  and some days the hikes have been very hard and long and today was no exception so I knew what I wanted for tonight’s accommodation and I found what I was after…a lovely small apartment with a separate entrance, a fridge and micro, Internet and a flat screen TV with satellite…and I have all that and more…

DSC03493

DSC03494

DSC03495

DSC03496

DSC03497

As you can see lovely..I am upstairs surrounded by trees and it was just what I wanted ..I knew there was a hockey game on at 4.30 and the French tennis final tomorrow at 6am…..

So I had a long hot soak in the tub, made tea and sat here

DSC03500

and watched a great game…

DSC03502

So all is well and tomorrow is my last day in the States  and  I have about a three hour drive and a place booked close to the Canadian border…..

Have a great Sunday!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...