Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Sunday 2nd October 2011….I forgot just how beautiful this Island is!!!!

Boy I am sleeping well and have not felt bad at all…the storms have gone and now we have sunny skies and at 9am this morning got my first glimpse of Bermuda!!!

oct2 004

It took about one hour to clear customs and by 11.15am I was almost first off the boat.

oct2 008

I went to the local scooter rental shop where I had pre booked a scooter

oct2 011here is Little Bonita!!!

The cost of the rental is done on a 24 hour period so I had booked one for two days which means that it has to be back at 11.30am on Tuesday morning but we don’t have to be on board till 3.00pm…so I asked the girl at the desk if there was a chance that because I had been a police officer here for 10 years and 2 of those years serving in the Cycle squad where I had recovered many of their  stolen scooters..if I could return the scooter at 3pm with no extra charge…of course you can…was the reply, so that was nice!!!

Just sit back and enjoy a small tour of a part of the Island!!!

oct2 013

oct2 017

The smallest draw bridge in the world!!

oct2 019

oct2 022

oct2 025

Had enough beach photos yet???

oct2 029

This is the the house that I house sat for almost two years it belonged to the Governor at that time, rent free, with pool and beach view not bed eh????

oct2 030

oct2 031This is the house where all my tooth problems started!!!  This was the office of the Police Dentist, his name and I swear this is true was Dr. Hook!!!!!!   Then he was about 80 years of age…if he could see my teeth now!!!!!

oct2 039

This was my next stop and where it all began for me back in April of 1970!!!

oct2 032

For the first 6 months of service you had a walking beat downtown and after that you could move to other departments this office on the right is where I worked for 2 years on the Cycle Squad!!

oct2 033

Two for one here!!!  The soccer field at the Police Club where I played hundreds of games and the tennis court where I won the Bermuda Police singles and doubles for a couple of years in a row!!!

oct2 036

I asked for permission to go inside the club and was allowed and very happy to see that I am in two photos still adorning the walls of the Police Club!!!

 

oct2 037

oct2 038

When we first arrived we also had to stay in Barracks for 6 months!!

oct2 040

From here I went down town to Hamilton the Capital city!!

oct2 042

oct2 044Back in the mid 70’s the Spinning Wheel was the main centre for drug dealing and the hard core bad boys to hang out…one night a big fight took place here which turned into a huge riot and this is where I was hit with a brick and fractured my mastoid bone…I was in Hospital for a couple of days and off work for over 6 weeks!!!

oct2 046City Hall!!

oct2 047

The Spot restaurant where all us young single cops used to go for a good home cooked meal!!!

oct2 048Front street which is so quiet because the stores still observe Sunday Closing!!

oct2 050

Possibly the biggest tourist attraction in Bermuda…The Bird Cage!!!!   I spent a few hours in here when I first arrived directing traffic…see I still have the signals after all these years!!!

oct2 054Front Street again!!

oct2 056

Looking across the bay at Hamilton centre!!

oct2 057

oct2 060

OK enough time for my first swim!!!!

oct2 063

oct2 066

More sights on the way back to the ship!!

oct2 074

They have converted the old railway tracks into a path for bikes and scooters!!

oct2 076

oct2 077

oct2 079

Just one more swim!!!

oct2 080

The church in Dockyard!!

I had a great afternoon and didn’t get back till 6pm.

I went for a nice hot tub and then showered had supper and at 9pm went to the main theatre for an incredible magician and Illusionist show…..some how he made a small helicopter appear on stage!!!!

Already 11pm and time for bed a full day out tomorrow planned.

Before I sign off I have to tell you about Joel…..he is my cabin steward and I do not know how he does it but he seems to remember all his cabin’s occupants names…he calls me Sir Les…he has a great sense of humour.  His service is excellent……there is a 12 dollars a day charged to your bill for gratuities for all staff but I still slipped Joel an extra 20 dollars…he is a great guy..today when I left he told me he would have  a surprise waiting for me when I got back…so I told him between 55 and 60 years old please!!!!  He laughed then he told me that my room is the easiest to clean he has ever done!!!!!

This was waiting for me when I got back to the cabin!!!

oct2 082

2 comments:

Paula and Jerry said...

Beautiful pictures, Les, and we could feel your joy at being there through your words. It sounds like your return trip to Bermuda (and the cruise) was a great experience. Wishing you a fun-filled voyage back to Boston, with calm seas and sunshine!
Salud!

Croft said...

Looks like fun Les and that it is bringing back good memories! Great photos!

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...