Friday, June 29, 2018

Friday 29th June 2018..... part one!!!!

Today was a long day with lots of photos so I am going to break it up into two posts so after you have read this(and enjoyed it)..please scroll down for part two!!


Marion provided a lovely healthy breakfast and I was on the road before 9 am..it was to be a big hiking day up to the summit of...





Mam Tor is a 517 m (1,696 ft) hill near Castleton in the High Peak of Derbyshire, England. Its name means "mother hill",[1] so called because frequent landslips on its eastern face have resulted in a multitude of "mini-hills" beneath it.[2] These landslips, which are caused by unstable lower layers of shale, also give the hill its alternative name of Shivering Mountain.[3] In 1979, the continual battle to maintain the A625 road (Sheffield to Chapel en le Frith) on the crumbling eastern side of the hill was lost when the road officially closed as a through-route.










The hill is crowned by a late Bronze Age and early Iron Age univallate hill fort, and two Bronze Age bowl barrows.[4] At the base of the Tor and nearby are four show caves: Blue John Cavern, Speedwell Cavern, Peak Cavern and Treak Cliff Cavern where lead, Blue John, fluorspar and other minerals were once mined.

Simon Jenkins rates the panorama from Kinder Scout to Stanage Edge as one of the top ten in England.


I started the hike in Hope and this is the first peak I have to conquer...






This so reminds me of my Camino days!!!






Yes that is where I am heading...









Finally made it to the top and the view back to my starting point was great...






Also the view to where I am heading...










The next peak..


Loved this shot I came down and saw this lady






 and stood behind her and quietly told her that it is a fantastic shot would you like me take it for you...she was elated and said yes and then she took the same for me..









If anyone mentions that little patch at the top of my head instant ban from the blog and that does include you Croft..don’t care if you are six foot six!!!!


Away up to the summit..






Incredible views!!!!






This is the next summit Mam Tor I have to reach but first I have to go down which for me is harder than going up!!!




Made it!!!


This is the end of part one!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...