Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Wednesday 20th April 2016...as promised!!!

Yesterday's blog........
I knew I wanted to do another big hike and it was about a 90 minute drive to get to the base so I was up at 6.30am  my kind host had some yogurt and fruit ready for me and packed me some bolied eggs, this has sure been a great stop.
The drive was interesting going through small towns and I am not sure if it is because of the long drought or the small villages to do not have running water but everywhere the streets were lined with people with big buckets and containers and a water truck was filling them up.
The road to the park was a cool drive

I arrived at the gate
Paid my 40 Rand entrance fee and the first part of the road was OK the next part was not
Just happy I was not in my car...I took it very slowly and eventually arrived at the base of the hike..again I had to fill in a form with my details and contact and the man in the office suggested that I not do this hike on my own.....for once in my life I made a smart choice and saw a group of about 12 tourists with a guide and asked if I could pay and join the group and for 100 Rand, about 9 Canadian dollars I could and I may as well tell you now it was the best investment I would never have found the trail and would have gotten hopelessly lost.
The group were individual tourists from many countries and were mainly in the late 20's....
This I knew was going to be a tough hike we started at 9100 feet

The idea was to hike to around the back of the big rock in the middle......even the first step was up hill and it was the same for the whole accent.....
The views were stunning what a beautiful area...


I had some interesting conversations along the way and then we came to the gut buster!!
We had to climb up this gulley to the top I put my pole away and had to use both hands it was a toughie but I was thrilled to receive nice comments from some of the others about my ability at obviously an advanced age!!!
The top was a reward of such great proportions that my camera could not do justice.....it was also at 10500 feet the highest I have ever climbed!!!!!
A well deserved lunch break!!!




The rest of the hike was either flat or down hill......our guide walked us about 2 km to the top of the highest waterfall in South Africa and the second highest in the world the Tugela Falls dropping 948 meters!!!
The water flow was just a trickle but it was a wonderful moment to be here....after seeing that young man fall off the cliff in the park in Australia I just shuddered at some of the people who were posing for photos in the most dangerous spots here I just shook my head....


You would think going back down hill would be easy...not so we had to deal with this baby chain ladder...
and the the Grand father of ladders....

Twas a bit of a thrill!!!!
I arrived back at the base almost 6 hours later and I think I can say that may have been the hardest one day hike I have done!!!!
It was then that I realized my planning left a lot to be desired because I had still a drive of 250km to get to my stay for the night...in hind sight I should have booked a place much closer but had no choice and I did not really enjoy the almost three hour drive especially the last 45 minutes which was done in the dark.....the roads are not particularly well marked and there is the danger of animals and also people walking and on bikes so I did a wise thing, that is twice today!!  I tailgated another slower driver and eventually was able to find the air bnb stay...which is quite lovely and old house...

 When I booked this room I asked for the only room that had a
 so as soon as I got in I was in it!!!

It was the biggest bath tub I have ever been in and the soak was just what these old bones needed after two days of long but wonderful hikes.
I was too tired to write the blog and was asleep by 9.30 pm.
This morning I feel refreshed no sore joints and ready to go...Had a wonderful cooked breakfast and agai a steal at 40 dollars Canadian....
I shall be on the road soon I have a 5 hour drive to my next stop where I am staying for two nights....I will put a map on tonight's blog!!!
Yashi Kochi!!!

2 comments:

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Good grief, at 61 years old I'm sure that I could never keep up with you, especially at that altitude! Amazing scenery...

mexicokid said...

thanks I think living in San Miguel with it's altitude has helped me but that was a toughie cheers les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...