Thursday, February 06, 2014

Thursday 6th February 2014…a short road trip!

of 330 km but took almost 7 hours as the roads are small and twisty and really an uneventful journey except of course for the animals you see on or close to the road

DSC01336

The one that got away!!

DSC01337

A few km along another animal in the bushes at the side of the road

DSC01340

I am not making this up a few feet away from the camel was this guy!!!!!!

DSC01338

Only in Mexico!!!!   I passed a small village and the circus was in town!!!

Arrived at the turn off for Barra

DSC01341

and the way to my hotel.

DSC01348

DSC01347

 

DSC01342

I had booked a room here with Booking.com a site I have used quite a bit and I had booked a room with a kitchen and a parking space and for 3 nights….it was all confirmed and I had the receipt printed out and with me…I knew it was not a fancy place but it was only 100 yards from the beach… anyway at reception they told me they had me booked for 2 nights, no parking space and only a basic room no kitchen….the language barrier was a bit of a problem as I was showing the lady my booking form but no point in getting upset…I told her I would take the room for the 2 nights but I wanted a better rate than the 250 pesos they were asking and I got the room for 200 pesos a night.the room is OK clean and hot water and a hard bed….I will just have to buy some ice to keep my drinks cold no worries but I shall contact booking.com and register a complaint.

I was to meet my friends Paula and Jerry who were arriving today in their camper so I went to the beach

DSC01346

DSC01344

I had a great swim and then sat on the beach and reflected on this town.

I have been coming here for over 20 years first flying down and then driving down in a van and of course the last 7 years in Ramona…so I have many memories of this place and the memories are bitter sweet…..this is where I last saw my good buddy Paco….along with his lovely wife Barb we sent many happy hours here playing Mexican train….he was taken way too soon….I just called Barb and told her where I was and she is doing so well dealing with the loss of Paco and I asked if it was OK to make these comments about him and she of course said sure…….Take care Barb!!!

I also met another now great friends here about 12 years ago Joy and Colin..I really am thankful to Colin he was the one that told me about the fact I was entitled to a British pension and got the wheels in motion which just this year has resulted in me getting a monthly pension from the UK..thanks Colin.

It is also the place where I fell out and tipped my kayak in front of about 70 people watching the sunset.

Finally it is also the place where I used to swim to the harbor wall every morning and one day got stung so badly by a Portuguese man of war…I thought my days were over…..so lots of memories.

I came home and showered and then went back to walk on the beach to met Paula and Jerry.

DSC01355

DSC01361

DSC01362

I often see these guys and wonder if they ever catch anything

DSC01363

Now I know!!!

I met p & J and we had a great visit catching up and are going to meet tomorrow afternoon and then have a sunset watching dinner.

So another good day at the beach!!!

 

This is for those of you who think I only print sports stories!!!!

 

Three arrested in theft of rare Stradivarius violin

Stradivarius violins at the new Stradivarius exhibition at the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford, UK, on 12 June 2013 Violins made by Antonio Stradivari, like these displayed in a British museum, are widely considered the best in the world

Authorities in the US state of Wisconsin have arrested three people in connection with the theft of a three-century-old violin valued at $5m (£3m).

The rare Stradivarius was stolen on 27 January from the Milwaukee Symphony concertmaster, to whom it had been lent.

A $100,000 reward had been offered for the instrument's safe return.

 

Heavenly strings

Stradivarius violin

  • Antonio Stradivari was born in 1644 and died in Cremona, Italy, in 1737
  • He made over 1,000 violins, violas and violoncellos, and was commissioned by royalty throughout Europe
  • Golden period considered to be from 1700-1725
  • It is believed that around 650 of the instruments have survived
  • His most famous violins include the 1715 Lipinski and the 1716 Messiah

 

Authorities have not said whether the violin, known as the Lipinski Strad, has been recovered.

Police say a robber used a stun gun on concertmaster Frank Almond in a church car park after a performance, then fled with the violin.

The instrument was built in 1715 by master Antonio Stradivari, widely considered the greatest violin maker in history.

The Lipinski Strad was formerly owned by Polish player Karol Lipinski and 18th Century virtuoso Giuseppe Tartini.

The violin's current owner, who has requested anonymity, said her "heart is broken" following the theft.

"[I am] just a person who loved her family violin with all its memories and three hundred years of history more than the many opportunities to sell it," she told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

 

The next few days look pretty nice!!!!

  • Thu 6 Feb

    Clear 29°C(84°F)

    NightClear 20°C (68°F)

  • Fri 7 Feb

    Clear 30°C(86°F)

    NightClear 20°C (68°F)

  • Sat 8 Feb

    Clear 30°C(86°F)

    NightClear 20°C (68°F)

  • Sun 9 Feb

    Clear 31°C(88°F)

    NightClear 21°C (70°F)

 

Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...