Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday 15th September 2012…………………..9 hours 35 minutes!!!!!!

So I went to bed last night at 9.30 pm and was asleep by 10 and I was up before the alarm at 3.30am….as this was my third walk I new what to do and what to take and I doctored my feet up and all I carried was a small zip lock bag with a couple of pills, gum, cream and I had my I pod and that was it.

So now photos but I was at the starting line at 5 am and after singing Oh Canada away I went.

As it was dark I piggy backed, not literally, a lady who was walking at my pace and a flash light to avoid the potholes as the majority of the walk was on gravel roads.  I know I can keep a pace up of just under 6 km per hour and time seemed to go quite fast…it was nice when the sun came up and warmed me up and the lake and the reflections were quite stunning.

To me it did not seem to be as many walkers as the last time and there were 12 rest station and comfort stations along the course and I tip my hat to the volunteers who manned these all day and provided us with drinks, food and most importantly words of encouragement.

Also different to 2009 I never once walked with any one today I don’t think I have not spoken for 9 hours at one time for years!!!!

I was holding up well and as I said the time went by fast.  At marker 41 km there is a nasty hill for about 3  km and at the summit I was feeling lousy and tired but at the next rest station I grabbed some fresh drinks, banana pieces and rice Krispy square and I was good to go for the last 12 km.

Let me tell you how special Heather is…she runs a house full of all boys, 16. 18 and 20 years old….Kirby her husband and me the lodger yet she always finds time to help other I think she has Doris Pearson(my Mum) genes….

As I came into sight of the finish line there was Heather with this huge sign waving me home……..I finished in 9 hours 35 minutes which 4 minutes slower than my time in 2009…I am thrilled with that.  I presumed with being older and a bit of knee issue I would have been happy to finish in under 11 hours but like the ever ready battery I just kept ticking.

P9151036

P9151039

P9151043

P9151044

Heather brought me treats and drinks for the ride home and I stopped at Sara’s first and then was home by 5.30pm where I have to tell you I was completely and utterly pampered by Heather from running of Epson salt bath, foot massage soak, dinner and everything else…thanks Heather you are a sweetheart.

So happy to report no blisters, my feet are fine but I will admit to being very sore and tired so off to bed.

I cannot let this go without mentioning my girls Paola and Daniela..they are the light of my life and I look forward to seeing then really soon.

Thank you to all who sponsored me for this walk and for the girls and Casa Hoga…1100 dollars was raised…thanks!!!!

Also thanks for all the e mails with words of encouragement.

 

Yashi Koshi!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...