Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Tuesday 25th November..

Today was by far the hardest driving day I have had since I left Nanaimo.

The roads this morning were again mainly toll roads and in good repair.mnbvc 005

mnbvc 021

Passed this truck that had turned over on the side of the road.mnbvc 001

I just liked this image of a man walking his horse over the highway.mnbvc 003

An eventful morning…mnbvc 023 could not figure out if this was an out of control fire or not.  I have seen many fires at the side of the highways but they appear to be controlled burning, not sure about this one.

On my approach to the town of Tequilamnbvc 009 I saw many fields of the blue agave plant from which tequila is distilled.mnbvc 015

The plant is grown for at least 8 years until its heart, called a pina, reaches the size of a beach ball and weighs almost 300 pounds when it is harvested.  It’s then chopped, fed into ovens and cooked for up to three days.  Afterwards the softened pulp is shredded and juiced and the liquid is pumped into fermentation vats where it s usually mixed with yeast.  Lesser tequilas, however, add sugar and sometimes flavouring and colouring agents.  By law the mixture can contain no less than 51% agave if it is to be called tequila.

Malcolm (my brother) YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO READ THIS NEXT PARAGRAPH!!!

My approach to the second largest city in Mexico, Guadalajaramnbvc 017 was going well I had written down the routes I needed to take but I knew this was a huge challenge for one person driving and navigating unsure of where to go and driving a big rig in these conditions.mnbvc 020

I was doing good until I missed the last turn off that I needed, now I was in trouble.

I pulled off at the next exit and pulled into a Pemex gas station and in my best Spanish asked a taxi driver for Highway 80.  He replied at a fast rate of speed and he obviously saw my look of bewilderment.  He beckoned me to follow him and he proceeded to drive through some narrow streets with me in tow until we came out at the right exit for me to get to where I needed to go.  I stopped and offered him money, which he would not take but he did want to shake my hand.  Only in Mexico will you find this kind of kindness!!

OK Malc you can read again……

I was making good time and around 5pm as it was getting dark I started to look for a Pemex station to spend the night but there just wasn’t any around.  So I broke my golden rule of driving at night, which I said I would never do.  In my defence I had no choice and I was on toll highways.

I arrived at the city of Guanajuato and was now feeling some pressure to get off the road as it was dark and I had driven over 450 miles and I needed a break.

As luck would have it I was able to find a small Rv park just outside the city, so I am now tucked away in the park and I am the only motor home.

I have had supper, a shower and now getting ready for tea and a movie.  It was a good day but a long drive it seems a long time since I was on the beach this morning.

I am now only about 50 miles away from my destination of SMA and I look forward to getting settled into the lovely RV park there and to know that I shall be there for about 7 weeks and will spend a lot of time with my friends Linda and Guy and in the new year Janet and Malc are flying out from England to spend two weeks with me…..life is good.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...