Monday, November 10, 2008

Lest we forget……

Remembrance Day – also known as Poppy Day, Armistice Day (the event it commemorates) or Veterans Day – is a day to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and of civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War. It is observed on 11 November to recall the end of World War I on that date in 1918. (Major hostilities of World War I were formally ended at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice.) The day was specifically dedicated by King George V, on 7 November 1919, to the observance of members of the armed forces who were killed during war.215px-Lest_we_forget My Grand mother Edith was married to a man whose last name was Gray.  They had a son who they named Les and during the first world war Les’s father was killed in Normandy.  Edith then married my Grand father William Pearson and they raised their two sons, my Dad and Uncle Bram as well as my half Uncle Les.

I have fond memories of my Uncle Les he was a Salvation Army officer and even performed the wedding ceremony for my parents.  He died a few years ago but I remember him as a funny man with a great smile and a deep overpowering voice.

As a youngster my parents took Malc and I to France and we saw the grave of my Grand mother’s first husband.  It was a white cross amongst thousands more.

On this special day I am thankful to all the women and men who made the supreme sacrifice in conflicts around the globe.  Thank you and may God bless all their families..

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...