Thursday, May 17, 2012

Thursday 17th May 2012….my health!!!!

Today was my appointment for my annual check up…..so lets go back to 1985 and I am living in the small town of Smoky Lake, Alberta, in great health and my Mum and Dad were over from England for a 3 month holiday.

I took the afternoon off work and my Dad and I went to play tennis..so I would be about 38 and my Dad much older..during the game I went for a shot and that is the last I remember…..my Dad called 911 and I was taken to the local hospital and later transported to the ICU in Edmonton general where I remained for three days…..the tests showed that I had an irregular heart beat.

Otherwise I was a healthy specimen and a few days later I was released but every so often when doing something that required some energy my heart would pop into this irregular rhythm…but I suffered no ill effects.

I just had to be careful and when playing sports if I felt a bit funny I had to stop…this went on for a couple of years until about three years later on a Doctors visit they found that my heartbeat was irregular all the time and stuck in that mode.  About this time I moved to the Island and met my new Doctor…who is brilliant.

He counseled me on my lifestyle and suggested I take a baby aspirin a day and that if my heart did not bother me to get on with my life…..so now 20 years later I have a check up, ECG and tests every year and always I pass with flying colors…today was no different.

DSCF9343

I weigh the same as I have for the last 40 years but am 2 inches shorter……my heart beat remains irregular but you know I do lots of stuff……we talked about the little bit of arthritis I have on my knee and nothing can be done except the brace and ice afterwards and it does not bother me.  I spoke to him about my tennis elbow and took in my brace to show him.  Doctor Vaughn concluded that I do not have tennis elbow but I have pitcher’s elbow and told me to invert the brace when I play and ice down afterwards….otherwise I am in great shape and I do feel really good…obviously with another Birthday looming I am not a young man but I am pretty proud of what my body allows me to do!!!

This afternoon Karen and I went on a different hike to

DSCF9344

DSCF9345

DSCF9346

DSCF9349

Another lovely hike about 4 miles…we stopped for a treat and then I dropped Karen off and time for poker again…the good news being that this time I did not loose 20 dollars…….

the bad news I did loose 19 dollars   Oh well!!!

Yashi Kochi!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...