Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Wednesday 1st July 2015….rabbits, rabbits, rabbits!!!!!

Today is a huge holiday in Canada and these shots were taken from my visit to the national’s capitol on my cross Canada tour in 2011…

Provinces

IMG_6757_thumb[1]

july20evening 023_thumb

july20evening 037_thumb[1]

After watching you know what with breakfast I got my kayak loaded on the top of Heather and Kirby’s van and off to lake Cameron…I did want to go to some local islands but the sea was too wild so I decided to drive out of town about 30 minutes to Cameron Lake…and here is the kayak..of course my regular readers will know that everything I own has a name and usually a female but the kayak is a boy and aptly called “The Great one!!”   no named after me but after Wayne Gretky…..

DSC04301

and away we go…

DSC04303

This is a huge lake and on one side is the main highway to port Alberni and on the other side deep forests but when I drive the highway I have seen on the other side a trestle bridge and I wanted to see if I could explore…

DSC04311

in the shot above if you look closely in the center you can see a bit of the bridge..

DSC04345

This shot was taken later but I like it..the little beach where I had lunch, a dog fetching a ball and the bridge…

DSC04342

DSC04346

So I paddled across the lake it felt so good to be out on the water so peaceful and serene and gives me time to meditate and think about how lucky I am to have so many special friends in my life and have good health!!

DSC04304

DSC04306

DSC04308

I have had the kayak over ten years  and when I bought it I was working at a high school doing lunch hour supervision and I got the kids in the special needs class to paint some logos and stuff on the kayak a lot of them have worn away but this one above still is looking good.

I found a small cove on the other side of the lake to leave The Great One

DSC04312

I then found a track and followed it a while

DSC04313

looked  up and saw this

DSC04315

there was a rope trail cliff climb

DSC04338

DSC04337

I managed to get to the top and enjoyed the views all the while thinking about the history of these tracks and all the goods they must have carried years ago!!!

 

DSC04336

DSC04321

I am getting hooked on selfies!!!!!

DSC04328

DSC04319

I paddled back across the lake to here and read and had lunch!!!

DSC04344

I really enjoyed my time today.

Arrived home in time for the start of the second semi final between England and Japan…it was a close game and you do not have to be a sports fan to understand the feelings of the English players!!!!

 

 

By Alistair Magowan BBC Sport in Edmonton

England were knocked out of the Women's World Cup in heartbreaking fashion as Laura Bassett's injury-time own goal ensured reigning champions Japan went through to Sunday's final.

The Lionesses were attempting to reach the first World Cup final in their history and only England's second after the men's team's victory in 1966.

They looked on course to take the Olympic silver medallists to extra time after Fara Williams's penalty cancelled out Aya Miyama's spot-kick.

But as the game entered a second minute of stoppage time, Bassett diverted a rare Japanese cross over goalkeeper Karen Bardsley's head, the ball hitting the crossbar and agonisingly bouncing over the line.

There was barely time for England to respond and Bassett burst into tears at the final whistle as her team-mates sunk to the turf.

Former England forward Sue Smith

"They didn't deserve it, one mistake, it is devastating. They have to be proud of themselves, this is a horrible way to go out but England need to be happy with what they've done. In a couple of days' time, when they've reflected on it, they'll know what they've done for women's football in this country."

After making history by reaching the semi-finals for the first time, the manner of the defeat was cruel on Mark Sampson's side, who missed three good chances around the hour mark.

Kelly Simmons - the Football Association's director of women's football - said in the build-up to the game that the tournament had seen England "fall in love with the Lionesses".

But that will be of little consolation as Japan prepare to face United States in a repeat of the 2011 final, which the Japanese won on penalties.

England, meanwhile, will face Germany in Saturday's third-place play-off.

Japan players celebrate

Japan can now defend the title against the side they beat in the final in 2011

Spurred on by a telephone call from the Duke of Cambridge prior to the match, England started confidently and Jodie Taylor almost scored in the first minute.

There were early chances too for Toni Duggan, who replaced Karen Carney in the starting line-up.

Japan, who have been likened to Barcelona for their passing style, took time to find their rhythm, but after 20 minutes the pattern of the game was set with the Nadeshiko dominating possession and England looking to break on the counter attack.

As the world champions grew in confidence, they drew England out of their comfort zone and opened the scoring just after the half-hour mark.

Left-back Claire Rafferty was caught out of position and pushed Saori Ariyoshi as she bore down on goal, though the initial contact appeared to be outside the box.

Captain Miyama put the penalty confidently to Bardsley's right.

England, who came from behind to beat Norway at the last-16 stage, did not trail long, and again the goal came from the spot.

Former Chelsea striker Yuki Ogimi clipped Steph Houghton's left heel, although the contact seemed slight, and Williams scored her second penalty of the tournament.

Sampson's side looked buoyed by that response and enjoyed a period of supremacy after the break.

Duggan struck the bar from the edge of the box before substitute Ellen White drew a fine save from Ayumi Kaihori. Scott then headed wide following the resulting corner.

England's ascendancy was thrown off course by an injury to Lucy Bronze, who had to be substituted just after the introduction of the lively Mana Iwabuchi.

But they finished the stronger side and looked good to make an impact in extra time before Bassett's terrible misfortune.

Claire Rafferty of England fouls Saori Ariyoshi of Japan to concede a penalty

Japan have scored the opening goal in all six of their games at the World Cup

Fara Williams (centre) celebrates scoring from the penalty spot

Fara Williams scored her second goal of this World Cup

England and Japan players wait for a corner kick

England's height advantage made them dangerous at set-pieces

Jill Scott heads wide of goal from a corner

England wasted good chances in the second half, including a header from Jill Scott following a corner

Laura Bassett of England is comforted by team-mates

Laura Bassett was inconsolable at full-time after scoring the decisive own goal

 

I have played many games of soccer at a fairly high level and I was a central defender and I have also placed a few goals behind my goal keeper into my own net……. it is a lonely and desolate feeling….

A quiet night at home relaxing and enjoying the holiday!!

Yashi Kochi!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...