Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Tuesday 3rd March… another first

My day started at 5.30am when the alarm went off and it was a signal to get myself ready for my big fishing day.  In the past I have a history of not having the best sea legs, so I just drank water and away I went.  I was invited to go fishing with Stan and his son Scott, who I had met through a RV forum. They were outside the park to pick me up and I had no idea what to expect as this was my first deep fishing expedition.

We went down the the local pier where perhaps over 30 boats were doing the same thing.IMG_4396

We were soon heading out and our Captain, Raymundo, was preparing things for us already.  Stan and Scott are avid fisherman and I told them I was not and for them just to tell me what to do and I would try to do the best of my ability to follow their orders.  They were very good with me and the sunrise was something to behold.IMG_4399

IMG_4404

 

 

 

 

IMG_4405

IMG_4412

I was told the plan was to troll the first few miles in the hope of catching smaller Dorado’s to use for live bait for the bigger fish.IMG_4398

We each caught one, this was my donation.IMG_4423

Guess what he was waiting for?

We soon were heading straight out and we were about 15 miles off shore when the boys set up the rods for the big fish.  Stan told me that the first strike was mine to bring in, so I was ready.

We were having no luck with 5 rods set up and after about 2 hours it was decided that we should return back home.  No sooner had that been decided when  ZIPPPPP the line went and Stan got me in the chair and I started to reel my catch in.IMG_4425

IMG_4426 IMG_4434

This was not easy and I think it took me about 15 minutes before this happened…IMG_4431

IMG_4433

IMG_4435

IMG_4441

IMG_4443

IMG_4445

I truly wish I could tell you that shortly after this photo was taken the fish went back to the ocean but sadly that did not happen.  Raymundo told us that because where the fish was hooked, he had lost too much blood and would not survive, so he was a keeper.

I have really mixed emotions and I know all about the fact that I eat chicken, beef and pork BUT I did really enjoy the thrill and exhilaration of catching the fish but really wish he could have gone back into the sea.

On the way home we saw this turtle.IMG_4448

It was a wonderful day and one I will not soon forget.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...