Friday, January 18, 2008

Took a guided tour with a couple from the park to Guanajuato, which is the capitol city of the State with the same name. Now I am not a fan of guided tours but this was with a friend and with just three of us very personalized and Jaime speaks perfect English and it was just quite an incredible day.
Guanajuato began its life in the 15th century and the native translation of the word means “hilly place of the frogs”. The first view of the town is through the maze of undergrounds tunnels. The panoramic view of the city would be an artist’s delight, it seems each house is a different colour and you just have to stop and look in awe at the sight. Towering over this view is the statute of Pipila; he was the hero of the struggle for Mexican Independence in 1810.
Winding our way into town through the tunnels we come to the central plaza and the imposing Church of La Compania, which was built by the Jesuits in 1747. This town is totally different to SMA but just as inspiring and breath taking. The scenes on the streets, of the workers, walkers, cars and tourists, although these species were not as abundant as in SMA.
Lunch was the best and it seemed a shame to eat that delightful looking strawberry cheesecake, but you know I did!!
It was a wonderful day and Jaime did a great job and is so knowledgeable. He invited me to join him tomorrow when he is taking a small party to the Monarch butterfly sanctuary. To be honest going over two hours to see butterflies did not really appeal to me but Jaime told me he has been going for over 11 years and it is the most amazing experience he has had and he promised I would come back a changed man…and I don’t want any snide comments there thank you!!
So I leave at 7am tomorrow, just another day in paradise Pura Vida

I know there are many photographs below so just sit back and enjoy them and try to capture the heart and vibrations of this magical city.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...