Monday, March 19, 2012

Monday 19th March 2012…..I am BACK!!!!!!

After two and a half days of drinking only water and eating only 3 slices of toast I am very happy to report that I woke up feeling great again!!!! Not bad ten months on the road and this my only medical issue, amazing what you can do when you keep Q tips out of your ears!!!!!

Today is a Public Holiday and this gentleman below is the reason…taken from Wikipedia!!

History of Benito Juarez

SUMMARY: Benito Juarez is considered one of Mexico's greatest and most beloved leaders. During his political career he helped to institute a series of liberal reforms that were embodied into the new constitution of 1857. During the French occupation of Mexico, Juarez refused to accept the rule of the Monarchy or any other foreign nation, and helped to establish Mexico as a constitutional democracy. He also promoted equal rights for the Indian population, better access to health care and education, lessening the political and financial power of the Roman Catholic church, and championed the raising of the living standards for the rural poor.
Benito Juarez was born March 21st 1806, the child of Zapoteco Indians. After they died when he was three, he went to live with his uncle, but when he was 12 he joined his sister in Oaxaca. He began studying for the priesthood, but in 1829 changed to studying for a law degree, which he received in 1831. That year he also began his political career, with a seat on the municipal council. In 1841 he became a judge, and the governor of Oaxaca.

Benito Juarez - Mexican President and National Hero

In 1853 the conservatives took power in Mexico and many liberals were exiled, including Juarez, who spent his time of exile in New Orleans. In 1855 the liberals won the election, and Benito Juarez returned from his exile as the Minister of Justice. In 1857 he was elevated to preside over the supreme court, in effect making him the Vice President. In 1858 the conservatives rebelled, and again Juarez had to leave Mexico City, this time fleeing to Veracruz, where he created a government in exile.
In January 1861 the conservatives lost power, and Benito Juarez became the President of Mexico. As the treasury was practically empty Juarez made the decision to suspend payment on all foreign debts for a two year period. After Mexican congress rejected an agreement Juarez had made with the British Prime Minister to protect the interests of European countries Spanish, British and French troops landed in Vera Cruz. Spain and Britain were there to protect their financial interests, and left in April, after it became clear that France had conquest in mind. The French troops fought for two years, and although suffering a serious defeat on 5th May 1862, eventually captured Mexico City in June 1863, and placed Archduke Maximilian of Austria on the Mexican throne.
Benito Juarez and the government of Mexico were forced to retreat right back to Ciudad Juarez, on the border with the USA. After four years with growing pressure from

Benito Juarez, President and national hero

America, continuing resistance from Mexicans and criticism from the French govenrment and people, finally the Napoleonic forces withdrew. Maximilian himself was captured and executed on 19th June 1867.
Juarez returned to Mexico city, and the presidency even after suffering a stroke in October 1870, and the loss of his wife in 1871. He won the presidential election in 1871, but died on 18th July 1872, of a heart attack.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Due to the holiday the beach out front was packed!!!!

IMG_9192

IMG_9197

Looks like they are still looking for a Trumpet player!!!

IMG_9199

There was so much commotion on the beach and huge crowds had gathered and I heard the word Beluga (whale) mentioned and that the whale had beached itself on the sand.

I quickly went and got my camera and pushed my way to the front of the crowds and amazed to see these whales!!!!!!!

 

 

 

 

IMG_9194

The market was back in town again and I went and glad I did because I was able to get the black soccer shirt that I mentioned last week and also treated myself to the white version too!!!!  So I guess Gail you are off the hook BUT I still get the lemon pie!!!!

Ladies if you can tear yourselves away from my Clooney style look to check out the shirts!!!!!

IMG_9186

This is how I was for two days!!!!

IMG_9188

The other thing I bought at the the market!!!

IMG_9190Not the book that is there to show size.

I have been looking for something to put in this space for a while!!

IMG_9200

 

IMG_9201

What do you think??

I finished off my great book and sunbathed and then at 3pm decided it was time to work.

So I washed Bonita and Ramona including the roof…

IMG_9202

IMG_9204

 

IMG_9203

I am so pleased with both my vehicles they have served me so well over the years!!!!

It took me three hours to clean and load Bonita and now I am all ready for my journey tomorrow and the real start of my drive to Nanaimo!!

Map picture

 

Now settled in listening to the Canucks hockey on the computer!!

I want to wish a very happy and special birthday to a wonderful lady and it was my privilege to meet her two years ago, GRACIE!!!!!!

She will be 100 years young tomorrow!!!!

VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

2

Sara with her Mum and with Grandmother Gracie!!!!

Wish you all wonderful celebrations!!!

 

I shall be out of Internet connections for a couple of days so will blog and e mail when I can…..Yashi Kochi!!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...