Sunday, December 27, 2009

Sunday 27th December 2009…3rd time lucky…day trip to Bernal.

 

My first visit to Bernal was in January with Janet and Malc..

M&J

 

 

Then last month this trip with Sara..

 

 

 day27 021

Neither time did I have a chance to climb this rock…so this morning Norma and Croft and I  and three other couples from the RV park went and I told them that this time I was going up!!!

La Peña De Bernal is located in San Sebastián Bernal, a small town in the Mexican state of Querétaro. The town of Bernal was founded in 1642, when Spanish families stripped the indigenous Chichimecas of their lands. The town has become famous for its  monolith, the second largest in the world, after Ayers Rock in Western Australia and the third tallest after the Rock of Gibraltar and Sugar Loaf Mountain in Rio de Janeiro. La Peña is also famous because it's believed to have magical properties. Every year thousands of people come to this little (only about 7,000 residents) sleepy town to experience a charge of energy during the spring equinox. The inhabitants of Bernal, who enjoy an average lifespan of 94.7 years, believe its due to the fact that the Peña makes them “look up” looking for the everyday light...OR...it might just be due to the fact that they have no smog, traffic, over population, stress and they eat fresh fruit and veggies that are harvested just outside of town.  The town was deemed a "Pueblo Magico" (magic town) in September 2006 by the Mexican Department of Tourism. Only 34 of these towns exist in all of Mexico.

dec27 001

We arrived in Bernal around 11.30am and Chris, Juan and I were the climbers the rest of the party were the shoppers.

It was another beautiful, hot sunny day and here is Chris and I looking good before the climb!!dec27 007

This is one big ROCK!!!

dec27 003

In the above photo I am experimenting with trying to write text into the photo and sorry it is not very clear, will have to master this new technology!!

dec27 004

At the start and till about a third of the way up there were many refreshment stands.

dec27 009

On the way up….

dec27 011

The route we took was pretty easy but you can only get so far up then you have to give in to the real equipment.

dec27 013

I am doing pretty good don’t you think??

OK OK That is not me!!!

dec27 016

getting higher and this shot of me  is about half way up!!

dec27 017

After just over one hour we climbed as far as we could go and I must admit it was a good job as I was just beginning to feel the effects of the climb and the altitude.

dec27 018

Juan, Chris and the old man!!!

The view were quite incredible and although the Rock is supposed to hold mystical powers all I felt was TIRED!!!

dec27 019

dec27 021

For the rock climbers still a long way to go.

dec27 020

dec27 025

Again tried the blue text this is the view of the church from where we had climbed,  if you look really closely to the left of the church you will see Norma in one of the shops buying a wool jacket!!!!!!

dec27 029 This little chapel was at our location and inside..dec27 031

It was a great climb and I am glad I finally made it, now on the way down which was in my opinion a little harder.

dec27 032

A big crowd at the base.

dec27 034

When Sara and I came here a few weeks ago it was on a week day and no one was around what a huge difference today crowds everywhere.

dec27 036

dec27 037

I had telephone instructions to find the same shop where Sara had purchased her beautiful hand woven wool shawl for 85 pesos and buy two more…….and I did….

dec27 040

The busy square..

dec27 043

dec27 048

 

 

 

 

 

 

The young and the old!!!

dec27 047

I like this old man!!!

dec27 059

The ice cream was impossible to pass up!!

dec27 057

dec27 053

dec27 058

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

dec27 060I bought some bread here…

dec27 065 

and yes I admit I had two ice creams!!!

dec27 068

The beautiful side walks…

dec27 067

So now I can say I climbed the rock at last!!

dec27 072

Thanks Chris and Juan for the ride to the base and also the company up and down and thanks Norma and Croft for driving me to Bernal, it was a memorable day, another one!!!

This is Sara and her son Gabriel and he is wearing the hat that Sara bought for him here in Bernal!!

gab

Have  a safe ferry ride back to Duncan tomorrow special lady!!

Map picture

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...