Saturday, August 29, 2009

Saturday 29th August 2009….a day at Mount Washington….

This afternoon I left for a small one night road trip, my first stop was at Mount Washington which is on the island and about a 90 minute drive from Nanaimo.

Map picture

Mt Washington 001

Mt Washington 002

This is a year round tourist area in the winter a fabulous ski complex and in summer many great biking  and hiking trails.

Mt Washington 003

My destination today is the top of the mountain in the background in the above photo.

There are two choices of doing this the first one is to take the chair lift to the top(1600 metres) and hike down, about 5 kms to the start or to do it in reverse.

I had already decided to hike up as I figured it would easier on my feet and knees and come down on the chair lift.  This was further confirmed when I found out it is 15 dollars to take the chair lift up but if you hike up the chair lift down if free, always an eye for a bargain!!!!Mt Washington 035

Sit back and enjoy the views up and on top of the mountain.Mt Washington 006

Mt Washington 013 Mt Washington 014

Mt Washington 025

Mt Washington 028

Mt Washington 031

Mt Washington 037 Here I thought I was at the top but no I have to scale this peak above still!!!!

Mt Washington 043

This photo above I really like it reminds me of Sedona the only difference the rocks there are bright red there.

Mt Washington 047

The runaway bride!!!!

Mt Washington 048 Part of the bridal party.

Mt Washington 051 Made it to the top!!!

Mt Washington 052

Mt Washington 055

Mt Washington 054

The ride down!!!!!!

Mt Washington 059

Mt Washington 064

Mt Washington 065

Mt Washington 072

Mt Washington 066 

Mt Washington 067

Home again!!

Mt Washington 076

I saw no one at all on the trail and I was sitting on a bench at the summit enjoying the spectacular vistas when over the peak came these two delightful young single mums with their children, they asked if they could share the bench and we talked for over one hour.  It was very pleasant the view was incredible and these 2 young ladies were so smart and interesting and all they wanted to hear was my stories of Mexico.  They told me of a free camp site just down and around the corner from the ski hill which is where I am now.Mt Washington 078

It was really a very beautiful afternoon and we all who live on this fabulous island should be so thankful for its beauty and peacefulness.

I am going to spend the night here and in the morning drive about 30 miles north to visit with my friends Norma and Croft before returning home tomorrow evening.

I hope you enjoyed this trip as much as I did!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...