Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tuesday 24th February…..

Mexican police force on strike after grenade attack

 

This was taken off the internet this morning..

 

MEXICO CITY, Feb 23 (Reuters)- The entire local police force in a Mexican beach resort town walked off the job on Monday demanding better pay and benefits to compensate for the rising dangers they face from drug violence.
More than 300 municipal police officers in Zihuatanejo, a town on the Pacific coast north of Acapulco popular with foreign tourists, went on strike after grenades were lobbed at their offices over the weekend.
Some 6,000 people were killed last year in clashes between rival drug cartels and security forces that have escalated since President Felipe Calderon deployed some 45,000 soldiers and federal police around Mexico to clamp down on cartels.
More than 500 of those killed in last year's drug violence were police.
On Saturday, gunmen threw two grenades at the main police station in Zihuatanejo. While no one was killed, police say they are not adequately covered if a future attack is fatal.
"We are seeing a lot things here that we have never seen before. It is our job to serve the citizens, but we need assurances that our families will be protected if one of us is killed," a member of Zihuatanejo's municipal police told Reuters.
The police want to have direct talks with Calderon to request improved benefits and an increase in their roughly $350 (5,200 pesos) per month salaries before they go back to work.  End of article.

 

I try to keep up with the news and I know that the majority of the people killed are close to the border towns but obviously there are issues everywhere.  I don’t look through rose tinted glasses and I can truly say I see no problems in the areas I go into and I do stray off the main touristy places.  Without exception everyone I meet is friendly but obviously I will keep my guard up.

Went for an adventure today the destination beingIMG_4239

Playa Troncones.  A lot of the fun is getting there…first of all is was the local bus into town, 5 pesos.  Then walked to the main bus station where I caught this babyIMG_4207

and this is how they driveIMG_4208

with this door open the whole time and there is a teenaged boy who helps people on and off with their kids, groceries or animals, he also collects the fare, for me 12 pesos and a ride of about 25 minutes to the main road and the turn off for the beach.  Then another 12 pesos ride in a kombi type van to the beach.  It took about 90 minutes to get here.

I have been to some truly wonderful beaches in my life including England, Spain, Portugal, South Africa, Venezuela, Costa Rica, Bermuda, USA and Mexico and this beach today was absolutely lovely.  The water clear, clean and warm, the sand soft, the sights gorgeous, no vendors and a mountain back drop, please enjoy your trip up and down the beach.IMG_4209

IMG_4210

IMG_4213

 

 

 

 

 

IMG_4219

IMG_4226

Feeding frenzy…IMG_4223

IMG_4232

IMG_4233

IMG_4220

Now how many of you have never been on a boogie board?

Well you are in for a treat because I am going to take you on a trip on Bram the boogie board!!!!IMG_4218

So you hold on tight..IMG_4227

and then go with the wave..IMG_4228

it gets rougher..IMG_4229

what a thrill eh??IMG_4230

This photo is for my Bro, Mally, see I am still a supporter!!IMG_4231

IMG_4237

I spent all day here and had a wonderful time when it was time to leave I decided to walk back to the main road turn off, had to stop for some refreshment on the way.IMG_4238

Finally got home at 7.30pm, what a great day!!

Life is still a beach…

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...