Friday, December 26, 2008

One week till the arrival of Janet and Malc..

Can’t believe that this time next week my brother and lovely sister in law will be here spoiling me, making me tea in bed, sponge pudding and custard for dessert after dinner, boy I can hardly wait.

Started my day this morning just after 8am with running laps.  I could only manage 9 laps and had to stop.  I think maybe a combination of too much turkey yesterday, just kidding…I think it was the fact that I don’t function well in the morning and it was a little cool, not beating myself up over it I know I will do the 14 laps tomorrow.

At 10am went to pick up Barb and Frank and we were going to a ghost town called Mineral de Pozos about 50 minutes drive away.

It was an easy drive and because of road constructionIMG_1874

we parked the car and walked into the small town.  The story on the town is that is was one of the 4 biggest mining towns in Mexico but early in the 1900’s the mines closed and the people left.  It is apparent walking around there many buildings are left abandoned.IMG_1846 IMG_1855

Still there are a few habitants and the people were very friendly.IMG_1847 IMG_1853

IMG_1852

The locals waitingIMG_1854

for their IMG_1862 tortillas.

IMG_1850 I am on the left.IMG_1858 This cow had an itch he just couldn’t get to.

Never seen people on their knees outside a church before. IMG_1865

IMG_1866

A very quiet but interesting town and we all thought it was nice to walk around and not see any tourists.IMG_1868 IMG_1876 IMG_1877

We then set out to drive to an abandoned mine.IMG_1881

IMG_1885

These are the buildings around the mine shaft.IMG_1886

IMG_1887

This gentleman was offering to take us down the mine shaft for 20 pesos.IMG_1891

We all looked out one another shaking our heads and then I said what the heck I am going and the Barb said she is going and Frank was shamed into it, so down we went by ropes.IMG_1895

IMG_1892

It was an incredibly interesting and our guide told us the story on the mine.  We went down about 500 feet till we came to the bottom of the shaft which was covered in water about 200 feet deep.IMG_1897

The guide made sure that we each dipped our hands in the water because he said it would bring us good luck.

I am sure you can recognize Barb and Frank in this photo!!!!!!IMG_1898

It was just a great trip although we got a bit stuck in traffic on the way home.  I really enjoyed the town and the trip down the mine shaft was a highlight.

These two photos are of my ladies and the house where I house sat in Nanaimo in September and October, cannot believe the amount of snow, thanks Charlotte and Brent.Christmas06

Christmas07

Happy Boxing Day to all.

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...