Friday, January 04, 2019

Friday 4th January 2019.....THREE KINGS DAY!!!!!!

Finally the big day is here and I was up by 7 am took the dogs out and made a light breakfast, packed a lunch with drinks and out of the door and down to the meeting point for the convoy going out to deliver the gifts!!


Everyone showed up on time and after a quick introductory chat and an outline of our mission we were off to the first of five schools.....


I could write pages about how humbling it was to see the kids waiting for us..lined up so patiently and then when they saw the Three Kings arrive....their faces..priceless!!


Every volunteer had a little job and I rotated the people being Kings so everyone got a chance to do that and hand out gifts and really it all went flawlessly......every child registered at the school received a gift and also the extra younger siblings there they also got a little something.


After distributing gifts at two schools I had selected a lovely place to stop for a picnic with an awesome view of the mountains.....and we all enjoyed the time getting to meet new people and relaxing.


The three big schools we delivered to after lunch also went so well...the numbers I had were accurate and the parents were so accommodating!!!


At 4.30 pm we had delivered our last gift and it was truly a wonderful day...


There are many stories to share but will just tell you of one.....we are nine cars in the convoy and we had just delivered to the third school and were on the rough road coming out of the village....I was in the lead vehicle and up ahead I saw a kid about 11 years in the field of to my left....he was a goat herder tending to his goats.......I had a few spare gifts in my car one of which was a soccer ball...so I put the warning lights on and stopped and all the vehicles stopped behind me...I got out ...got the ball shouted to the kid and kicked him the ball......he caught it and the smile on his face!!!!!!!!!!!   He said Gracias....and then waved as every car passed him by......just an interaction that cost 70 pesos for the ball that will stay with all of us for ever!!!!!


I did not take my camera as I was busy organizing the events but two volunteers were the photographers and they will share photos with me which I shall share with all the volunteers!!


Most of my readers and friends gave so generously and for this I thank you so very much...a total of over 750 gifts were handed out!!!


Here are a few photos courtesy of Willie..thanks...





King for five minutes bit already changing the world!!!












Isabel has been getting lots of photo opportunities but here is her brother Jonah having his breakfast this morning!!






Yashi Kochi!!!

4 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

No doubt, Three Kings Day was a huge success. Just don't see how you had enough energy left to write this blog!! Looking forward to catching up with your team's photos when we return from the cruise.

Jonah is a little cutie pie!

mexicokid said...

He sure is...enjoy that cruise and sunshine best wishes lp

Peter Kouwenhoven said...

Wow! A great success! Congrats Les.

mexicokid said...

Thanks worth all the work cheers lp

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...