Thursday, January 18, 2018

January 18th 2017...I think every where

the weather is a bit crazy...here when I walk to tennis at 8.45 am I am bundled up complete with scarf and gloves and when I come home two hours later I am just in my T shirt!!!!!



Huge pileup yesterday in Coahuila.Huge pileup yesterday in Coahuila.

Cold front described as one of worst ever

Baby dies from exposure in Sonora; Hidalgo was coldest at -12 C

It’s been a cold winter for much of Mexico with temperatures as low as -12 C in Hidalgo, snow in many areas and hardship for some.
And conditions are not expected to change much in the next few days as cold front No. 23, extending from a low-pressure system in Vancouver, Canada, reaches as far as the southern coast of Veracruz.
The weather was particularly hard on a family of migrants from Honduras who were traveling on Monday through Nogales, Sonora, where temperatures have been dropping to -3 or lower.
Jaime Hernández and Sandy Carranza and their two children, a toddler and a six-week-old baby, had stopped for tacos. Carranza was breastfeeding the infant when suddenly she noticed the baby was bleeding from his nose and mouth.
He was rushed to a Red Cross clinic shortly where he later died. Exposure was given as the cause of death.
The state of Hidalgo enjoys the distinction of having recorded the lowest temperatures so far this season, but that’s no comfort to seniors Agustín and Alicia, residents of Acayuca in the municipality of Zapotlán.
The weather is posing a threat to their livelihood.
Breadwinner Alicia works every day from 8:00am to 5:00pm washing clothes and earning 200 pesos a day. Her husband of 40 years has been in a wheelchair for two years after suffering a work-related accident in which he lost a leg.
But the cold and freezing water have severely hindered Alicia’s work, leaving her hands aching and her fingers unresponsive. This week she didn’t earn enough to take her husband to the Tuesday tianguis, or flea market. The weekly day out is his only diversion.
As far as Agustín can remember, it has never been so cold.
His memory serves him well, judging by a pronouncement on the weather by national Civil Protection director Ricardo de la Cruz Musalem. He said the cold front is one of the most severe ever recorded.
It has particularly affected the north and center of the country.
Temperatures dropped to as low as -6 last night in Saltillo, Coahuila, covering streets with a thin sheet of ice. When one driver lost control of his vehicle a major pileup of 43 vehicles followed, including cars, trucks, a police car and a bus.
Four people were injured, but none seriously. Damages were estimated in the multi millions of pesos.
Poor conditions were responsible for another accident in Monterrey, Nuevo León, involving 28 vehicles. Two people were injured.
Heavy fog closed the Saltillo-Monterrey freeway yesterday afternoon after a an accident involving three trucks left as many people injured. The highway was reopened this morning to traffic in both directions.
Today, the coldest place in the country was La Rosilla, in Guanaceví, Durango, where the mercury plunged to -11, the National Meteorological Service said.
Nineteen states were reporting temperatures below 0.
Other cold spots were El Vergel in Balleza, Chihuahua, with -8, and Tres Barrancas in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, where it was -7.
Cold and bitterly cold weather and heavy fog are forecast for the northeast, the west and the center of the country with the possibility of snow or sleet in mountainous areas of Chihuahua, Coahuila, Nuevo León, Tamaulipas, Puebla and Veracruz.
Higher regions in many parts of Mexico will see temperatures of -5 or less, the National Meteorological Service said today.

Had a great class tonight I made a folder on my computer with photos from my years of travel and they so enjoyed looking at them and asking me questions...I did realize as I was putting them together how lucky, blessed and fortunate I am for these last 11 years since I retired how many amazing people I have met...seen vistas worthy of a National Geographic center page...and just had a fabulous life!!!

We then played charades in teams they also really enjoy this game....I feel so lucky to be their teacher!!

Stay warm where ever you are!!!

Yashi Kochi!!!!

2 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

Les, Say it ain't so!! Cold weather in San Miguel! Is there any place we can go to get away from it? In the very early morning and late evening our temps drop to about 35F and 40F. By noon the temps rise to about 57F. No snow with this last cold front, but 5 hours up the road near Raleigh, NC, my son and famil got about ten inches of the white stuff. These temps are unusual here during my lifetime, but times may be changing. How did you fare at night in the casita? How did you keep warm? And so sad about the migrant family and their little baby. I guess Mexico or the churches need to open shelters for them to get out of the weather.

Taking Beach to the hospital in the morning for his knee replacement surgery; he's pretty healthy for age 74; however, there are always nagging thoughts about anesthesia and the blood thinners they will be putting him on to prevent blood clots. It's so crazy how he got into this situation. Beach used to be a big runner and jogger in his 40s and 50s, but he ran on pavement and asphalt which we now know was not good for his joints. In his teens, 20s, and 30s, he played a lot of baseball which didn't help his knee joints sliding into bases, and had cartilage surgery years ago because of that. I can't imagine your hiking causes any problems because you are doing it on dirt paths. But I wonder whether you have joint problems on the tennis courts; I guess clay courts should not be too bad.

mexicokid said...

Even in England my Bro is having bad weather here I think the altitude has a lot to do with it and of course the homes are usually tiled floors so cold...no worries my little casita has both a small electric heater and a gas heater built into the main system so I am OK...I know about knees I stopped running about 18 years ago when I stopped reffing soccer games now all i do is work out in the gym and lots of walking....mainly on trails and as you say my tennis is on clay much more forgiving than the hard courts good luck and a speedy recovery to Beach stay warm best wishes les

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...