Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thursday 14th November 2013………Day one!!!

We left SMA at 7am and it was a good drive to get onto the toll roads and the scenery very beautiful…

DSCF3132

DSCF3134

DSCF3137

We took turns driving and Carolyn’s car is very comfortable and easy to drive and the hours and miles went by very quickly and around 3.30m we were at the bridge crossing in Laredo, Texas

DSCF3139

…it took us 35 minutes to get across the bridge and no issues getting into

DSCF3141

The drive from the border to San Antonio was all on the freeway and we both got hungry so stopped at a Mc.D’s..I told Carolyn I had to have the super size vanilla milk shake as I had not had one in 7 months…so we go to the counter and ordered our food and I ordered the milk shake and the girl says sorry our milk shake machine is broken…I had a mini fit about having to wait 6 months and on and on and Carolyn just rolls her eyes but the woman behind me said Honey go next door to Sonic they have good milkshakes….so I did…but it is a drive through only so I went to the window and asked if it was possible to order a large milk shake but I had no vehicle and the guy said sure..so a couple of minutes later this girl comes out with my milk shake and hands it to me and I asked how much and she looked at me and said..no charge just take it….pardon me I said so she repeated its Ok just take it..so I thanked her gave her a tip and left…I love America…..so when I told Carolyn what had happened guess what she said……..she probably felt sorry for you and thought you were homeless…needless to say I did not speak to her for two minutes.

So in San Antonio, now referred to as SA..we met Kirsten, Carolyn's daughter, at out hotel which Erin, Carolyn’s grand daughter works for and got us a special room rate…the hotel is quite wonderful and one of the best I have ever stayed at we are on the top floor, great views…

DSCF3142

DSCF3143

DSCF3145

DSCF3146

DSCF3147

We had a lovely visit with Kirsten who was kind to put flowers, wine and soap in the room……so it was a great first day 12 hours from door to door……tired but happy more tomorrow…

 

Breaking news…

TNRDHRPNOPGYAJM_20131114011852

PULLMAN, Wash. – Zach Anderson, Derek Bayley, Brian Mogg, and Evan Omelia have each signed a National Letter of Intent to play men’s golf at Washington State University, beginning next fall, Cougar Head Coach Garrett Clegg announced, Wednesday.

A four-year captain and No. 1 player at Dover Bay Secondary in Nanaimo, British Columbia, Anderson was the individual champion at the 2013 CN Future Links Prairie Championship. Heading into his senior season on the golf course, he is a three-time British Columbia Golf Zone 6 Junior Golfer of the Year. Last season, he finished second at the British Columbia AAA High School Championships and fourth at the British Columbia Junior Championships.

“Zach’s golf game has continued to improve and he has won at a very high level in Canada,” Clegg said. “He has huge potential to be a great player for the Cougars. Zach has very good touch around the greens. He is one of the top players in British Columbia and I am excited to have him on board.”

Bayley is a three-sport athlete at Lakeland High School, playing golf, football, and basketball. He took home the top individual honors at the 2012 Pacific Northwest Men’s Amateur Public Links Championships. Making the cut at the U.S. Junior Amateur, Bayley bowed out of the tournament in the round of 64. During his freshman year, Bayley won the individual title at the Idaho 4A State Championships.

“Derek is one of the best junior golfers from Northern Idaho in recent years,” Clegg said. “He is a very strong player and a great leader.  We are excited that he chose Washington State.”

A senior at Skyline High School in Sammamish, Wash., Mogg becomes the second Cougar of his family to golf at Washington State. His father, Gary Mogg, competed for the Cougars when he was at Washington State (1982-85). This past summer, Brian qualified for match play at the U.S. Junior Amateur. As a junior, Mogg won the Bill-Egbers Memorial Golf Tournament, topping 116 of Washington state’s best high school golfers.

“I have seen Brian compete since he was 13-years-old and am very impressed with how much his golf game has progressed over the years,” Clegg said. “Brian is one of the best putters I have seen in recruiting. Brian has the game and demeanor to compete against the best and he will be a fantastic addition to the team in 2014.”

A native of Watford, England, Omelia arrives at Washington State from the Community Colleges of Spokane. As a freshman, Omelia was named a first-team all-conference player in the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges. He won three individual titles and helped lead the team to 15-straight tournament titles.

“He has done a great job in Spokane,” Clegg said of Omelia. “We are thrilled to have Evan joining the program.”

 

Zach is the youngest son of my great friends heather and Kirby in Nanaimo and my home away from home….Zach has been a golfer since before he could walk and this has been his goal to get a scholarship to a USA school so a huge accomplishment  well done Zach…just remember when you turn professional all those times I drove you to the course….great work kiddo!!!!

 

Yashi Koshi!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...