Monday, April 09, 2012

Monday 9th April 2012…..Ashley did it AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

Again two posts in one so we have to go back to Sunday’s afternoon doubles game…which Ashley and her partner played really well but their opponents on this day were two strong and they lost in straight sets……maybe a little bit of a blessing as now Ash can concentrate on her singles game!!!

After the game Stella and I went for a nice hike into

IMG_9712

it was a nice time to hike as the sun was going down and not too hot!!

IMG_9713

I asked Stella if she was hungry and I told her I really could do a man’s meal so she drove to a restaurant she knew of and on the special board outside it listed Roast pork dinner with mashed potatoes and green beans…go no further!!!!!!

Stella had sea bass and my dinner was lovely!!!!

The temperature in the evenings is so pleasant really nice for sleeping.

Ashley’s game was not till 2.30pm this afternoon so it was an easy morning by the pool, reading and dipping in the hot tub and playing word games with Ashley after she came back from her training……I knew that the elite athletes have a strenuous regime of what they can and cannot do and how totally dedicated they have to be but being around Ashley and her Mum these last few days I realize I was not even close to the amount of time and effort goes into this kind of life.  I really enjoy that she is so committed to the game and that she is a great player but I also love that she is such a great kid, warm, funny, kind, smart and I think she likes me a little bit, we spend a lot of time together!!!!

So when Pauline and Ash left for the game Stella and I had lunch then went to the court for the game.

This competition is for the top 128 players in the USA and Ash is playing in an age group where the girls can be up to 14 years and 8 months old!!!!  Ash is 12 years and 7 months old so she is giving away almost two years and two years when these girls grow, mature so fast so it a huge difference.  Her opponent today 13 years plus and we are down now to the last 64!!!!

Due to some unforeseen circumstances Ash was a little late getting to the venue and it showed in the first two games which she lost without getting a point!!!!

IMG_9717

Slowly she started to put her game together and caught up and went on to win the first set 6-2…..it was really good tennis these kids hit the ball so hard and their skills are quite remarkable and another great quality, in my humble opinion, that Ashley has is her attitude and demeanor on the court, always up beat, not down on herself and she is a true sportswomen!!!

The second set seemed to be on serve and again some great rallies and then Ashley found herself in a position of being up 6-5 and her opponent serving to stay in the match….that last game was tense but Ashley closed it out to take the second set and the match 7-5…so down to the best 32 in the country!!!!!WAY TO GO ASH!!!!!!!

She come of the court a quick hug to her Mum and Gran and a high five to me and off she goes for a ten minute run!!!!!!!Then a few minutes conversation with her coach and her day is done!!!!!

IMG_9722

IMG_9718

IMG_9720

Stella and I brought Ashley home and such a kid she wanted play the word game going to the moon all the way home……Back home and Ash and I played like a scrabble game and then she challenged me to a mini volley ball game then a mini soccer game…..ego will not allow me to tell you who was victorious in the games…………..but I will give you a clue…the winner has GREY HAIR!!!!!

Pauline cooked a lovely supper and then it was time for me to come to Ramona to write this then walk to the library and post it.

 

Another memorable day…this kid is WONDERFUL!!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...