Thursday, February 11, 2010

Thursday 11th February 2010……Roy is gone…

 

Roy passed away in his sleep last night surrounded by his immediate family.  I have many wonderful memories of this beautiful and loving man and this photo was taken in June on his birthday.  His partner Eileen is on the right and her sister in law Irene on the left.

 

IMG_6947_thumb2

Although for the past few years his memory was gone he still did always remember his birthday, where he was born and his teacher Miss. Twiddle.  None of us have ever been able to verify that Miss.Twiddle was in fact Roy’s teacher or someone he made up but he ALWAYS talked  about her. 

I shall miss you Roy and salute you as a great man!!!!!

 

 

 

 

This was taken off the  Canadian Press today.

 

99999 

 

 

 

Gretzky arrives in Vancouver prior to Opening Ceremony.

 

 

VANCOUVER - Wayne Gretzky made an appearance on the eve of the Vancouver Games and added to the growing speculation he might be given a significant role in the opening ceremonies.

The Great One avoided a swarm of reporters after speaking briefly at a promotional event for one of his sponsors Wednesday, twice slipping out side exits rather than facing questions ahead of the Olympics. There are rumours he could be involved in Friday's opening ceremonies at B.C. Place perhaps as the final torchbearer and Gretzky did little to squelch that talk by aggressively ducking the media.

His public comments were limited to a one-minute speech delivered to a crowd that included dignitaries such as B.C. Premier Gordon Campbell and John Furlong, CEO of the Vancouver Olympic organizing committee. During that address, Gretzky recalled being in Prague as part of the team bidding for the Vancouver Olympics.

"I remember sitting with Premier Campbell and Mr. Furlong and we kept saying the same thing: 'This really is a great city, this is really a great province and this really is a great country,''' he said. "I think the rest of the world is going to come here to this city and see just how tremendous this city is and how great our country is.''

Organizers have gone to great lengths to keep details of the opening ceremonies a secret.

Gretzky appears to be a natural choice to play a role in the event. He is arguably Canada's most recognizable athlete and has been involved in the past three Games playing for Team Canada in 1998 before serving as executive director of the men's hockey team in 2002 and 2006. He is serving as a special adviser this time around.

The NHL's all-time leading scorer also helped play a role in Vancouver landing the Games, a contribution Campbell highlighted during his speech on Wednesday.

"Without your help, we wouldn't be here today,'' said Campbell.

Gretzky has been keeping a fairly low profile since stepping down as coach of the Phoenix Coyotes in September. He spoke with reporters prior to the Hockey Hall of Fame induction ceremony in November and held a news conference while attending the KHL all-star game in Minsk, Belarus, a little over a week ago.

However, he has not spoken publicly about the opening ceremonies.
During his brief speech on Wednesday, Gretzky indicated that he was excited to see his country have the opportunity to host the Games again.

"You know, they say about the Olympic Games, it's about the participation,'' said Gretzky. "I think it was years ago they said the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat. But participating in the Olympic Games is what it's all about. It's an opportunity for us ... to show the rest of the world and of course the young Canadian kids male and female who are growing up watching, seeing new heroes that are made here over the next two weeks, and (hope to have) their dream fulfilled of one day participating in the Olympic Games.

"Congratulations to Mr. Furlong, I know how hard you worked to get this here. The Games are only 48 hours away and I know it's going to be a great event.''

 

When I came to Edmonton in the summer of 1980 and started a new life in this great country I was taken to my first hockey game in the Edmonton Coliseum and I was struck by the quickness of the skaters and their ability and immediately became hooked on the game and in particularly 99.

He became my hero and I have a tattoo to prove it (yes it is in a special place even Sara has not seen it!!!!!!).

feb11 032 It is a Native hockey stick and the number 99!!!

I have met him twice and shaken his hand and I was fortunate to get his autograph two years ago in Phoenix.

In these glory days of multi million dollar athletes and some of them falling from grace with their inexcusable acts it has always been refreshing to me to know that 99 was always a perfect gentleman on the ice and also in his private life.  Even the last sentence of the above quote shows his respect for other people.

Did my school run this morning and this afternoon.  I saw Paola today and snapped this shot of her.

feb11 002

Then she wanted my camera and made me do these really silly poses, I know, I know didn’t take much persuasion!!

feb11 003 No I have not lost my razor!!!

feb11 008

This one is special because that is a friendship tree in the back ground, people who play a part in the girl’s growing up are named there and I am so proud to say that my name is on the tree!!

feb11 016

feb11 026

Had enough of me yet??

feb11 019

OK that is it.

I then went around to the Spanish school where I took my classes and said good bye to the very special owner Ms. Josefina.

feb11 001

When I am not in SMA I e mail the girls once a week and Ms.Josefina takes the time when the girls go to their English classes to bring them into her office and she reads them my letters and sometimes the girls write back to me.  A great way for them to know that I am thinking of them.

So ends an eventful and sad day…….Thank you for letting me share, blessings Les

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...