Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Tuesday 21st October 2014..Day five!!!

Continuing my week of older blogs but before I do I saw this and I know the scare is not funny but it did bring a chuckle to me….

ebola

Tuesday 17th July 2012……another place to put on your list!!!!

Well finally I got to sleep in!!!!!!!!

Got up at 9am and went down to the lobby for the free breakfast at 9.30am when I realized another interesting thing about Greece there is a time difference of one hour from all the other countries I have been visiting so I got to breakfast as they were closing!!!

No worries decided to talk a little walk through town and find a bakery.

Kevin asked in comments on my blog yesterday how I manage with the language barrier…well I really find no barrier I pride myself on all the countries I have gone to I learn three things in their language….Please, Thank you and good day…and they have come in handy so many times especially to see the smiles on their faces when I try to say them.

To give you an example this morning I found this great little bakery run by a Mum and her 16 year old daughter…I bought some muffins and milk and thanked them in Greek, they smiled and the young girl went to the row of cookies and put this

DSCF2511

in my bag saying it was a gift from her family!!!

I just find smiling a lot, being very humble and polite goes such a long way!!

Back to the hotel which in the daylight is really very nice I packed up and ordered a taxi to take me here

DSCF2512

bought a ticket for 12 Euros and the bus was leaving in ten minutes.  This was the nicest bus by far

DSCF2513

it was two hours to the small town of Meteora and the bus driver stopped at the side of the road and told me where to walk to the town square by maps I knew my way from there, so friendly everyone.

I had a couple of months ago done research on this town and decided it was a place I wanted to visit so I also researched accommodations and booked 2 nights at the Alsos House, it was well recommended..the problem was that my booking was for tomorrow and Thursday but because I got through Albania so quickly I came a day earlier hoping they could give me a room for three instead of two days and if not I would find a place close by for one night.

Well the owner met me at the door speaking perfect English and after a couple of minutes re arranging I had my room for three nights.

DSCF2514DSCF2515

DSCF2518

View from my balcony

DSCF2516

Breakfast is included and this is the nicest room so far and the cost a bargain at 40 Euros.

I settled in and then went for a walk into the town center….

got to love a town that has a waterfall

DSCF2523

DSCF2525

DSCF2526

The little street leading back home…

DSCF2521

So I suppose by now you are wondering why I chose to come to this part of Northern Greece and the town of Meteora……

This is taken from Frommer’s travel guide!!!

DSCF2567

DSCF2568

DSCF2569

This is just another in the long list of WOW places for me and again the photos do not really capture the magnitude and staggering accomplishments of those early pioneers!!!

DSCF2519

DSCF2528

What are the two xx well lets zoom in with this great little camera of mine!!!

DSCF2529

Yes there is a monastery up  there!!

Decided at 6pm that after all that sitting the last couple of days a little evening stroll before super was in order so where shall I go??  About here??

DSCF2530

DSCF2539

The hike was another toughie but the path was OK

DSCF2543

DSCF2546

My destination..I knew the Monastery closed at 5pm but I wanted to get close and then visit inside tomorrow.

DSCF2549

Doesn’t this just blow you away???

DSCF2552

DSCF2558This cable car and winch I thought was there left over from the days gone by so imagine my surprise when I am walking back down the path I hear this noise and look up and see

DSCF2563

On the path on the way down came across this Tortuga!!!

DSCF2538

DSCF2537

My last turtle was with Paula and Jerry when we rescued this beauty on the shores in Mexico!!!!

IMG_86291_thumb

It was a great hike and so was the cup of tea on my balcony afterwards watching village life pass by

DSCF2570

When I was in town in the afternoon I stopped in at the local market and stocked up on food and drinks so I am set for three days……another great long shower and now ready for bed…….again I marvel out lucky I am that things are turning out so well and I am meeting lovely people and seeing sights that will stay with me forever…

Yashi Kochi!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...