Saturday, March 29, 2008

Thursday 27th March and my last full day in Mexico!!

I left Ciudad Victoria around 10am and did a full day’s drive along mostly two lane good paved roads except for one section where I went over a spectacular and stunning mountain pass for about 50 kms. The roads were an adventure to drive but the scenery was great. I was making good time and stopped for the night at a gas station about 120 kms from the US Border. I again parked in the corner of the station and it was safe and quiet and I settled for my last sleep in Mexico.

It is now Friday 28th March and Ramona is parked in a very secluded campsite at the Seminole Canyon State Park in Texas.

Left about 7am this morning for the last stage of the drive and as fitting I went through one more military check point and got lost one more time. To my readers who think that I am geographically impaired (Yes you Mally and Chris!!). I want to explain the exact circumstances of this last wrong turn and only wish I had taken photos. I was going down Mexico highway 57 for Ciudad Acuna, the border town and the sign said Highway 29 Ciudad Acuna turn right. So I did this but I had that feeling that I was going in the wrong direction and sure enough I finished up down town. So one more small town to navigate through and I am thinking please don’t let me have an accident this close to the border after all those miles I have driven. So came back the way I had come and I stopped at the sign and sure enough it did say right when actually I should have gone left. So THAT is how I got lost. That is my story I and I am sticking to it!!

Arrived at the border and did not want to make the same mistake as last year as not being able to find the office to turn in my sticker. So being much smarter now I stopped a few yards short and parked and went looking on foot where to go. I found the office and then to my surprise they sent a young man with me to get me back to the office there was some one way streets to navigate, either that or he looked at me and thought, this kid will get lost I better go with him!!!.. Anyway he walked back with me and we drove to the office, he would not take a tip but he did like the Canadian key chain. There was a young lady outside the office with a small hand held computer like machine and she scanned the VIN number on Ramona, took my decal and gave me a printout, like half a minute, perfect. This receipt is important to me because I can re-claim the insurance money I paid to my home State for the time I have been in Mexico, which almost covers my Mexican insurance.

The next part of the procedure was US Customs and Immigration. Here I was pulled over for an inspection and you know what is coming…..He looked inside all the cupboards and not one compartment t outside, I just don’t figure that one out. Then into the office for a passport stamp and there I was as the song goes, “Back in the USA”.

I started my long journey west and the weather had changed to cloudy and windy and arrived at Seminole Canyon State Park where I am spending the first night. The park is famous for its prehistoric rock art and only guided tours are allowed into the canyon. So I have booked a tour for 10am tomorrow.

After getting Ramona settled I took off on a hike of about 3 miles to the edge of the canyon. It was desolate and saw no one and the canyon is quite pretty. There is a time change here so it is 8pm and just getting dark and I am settled in for the night.

Hopefully will find Internet tomorrow and send this. It feels good to be back in the States after nearly 4 months away and again I am so thankful for a journey that was awesome and perfect.

I now look forward to three weeks in the States I do have some plans one of which is hoping to see my favourite hockey hero at a game in Phoenix on Thursday night!!

Wish you all a great weekend, Pura Vida

Now 9am Saturday morning and it is raining!!!!!!

The guided tour of the canyon is cancelled so I am going to have a day of driving west towards El Paso and see if I can find the sun!!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...