Saturday, March 03, 2007

Well day 2 had a little bit of everything, the morning was a continuation of mountain driving through twisty turns and small old time towns until I reached the outskirts of Guadalajara, the traffic here is a nightmare and I do find the signs very misleading but did manage to find the route where I started my northern journey. The first little while the roads were through high canyons and I passed by two separate accidents both on sharp bends (not surprising) both involving truck roll overs, the second one sent watermelons by the hundreds all over the road, was unable to stop anywhere to take photos. I then had my very first dealings with the boys of the military. I have driven through many check points in all the years I have been coming to Mexico but have never been pulled over to be searched until today. At the check point I was told to drive to a small sectioned off part where they blew a whistle and out came 5 very young soldiers each with machine guns, 2 came to the drivers side and the others to the passenger side and they made me open the doors and windows. They were speaking to me very fast and looking in my van and touching my stuff and of course I could not understand a word they were saying. In my imperfect Spanish I think I told them that I did not understand but they were welcome to search. It was obvious that I was this afternoon’s source of entertainment; I could just tell they were laughing and making fun of me between themselves. Then I understood they were asking me for food and money, I played real dumb and kept saying Buenos Diaz, even though I knew it was afternoon…this went on for a short while till I smiled and said I was a “mandilon” this is a word that a friend taught me which literally means in Spanish, “wimp or Momma’s boy” they thought this was so funny, it seemed to break the ice and they let me through. That was an interesting experience; I wasn’t really worried but certainly very guarded with them around my belongings. From here my day went sort of down hill and not literally, the ruins I had planned to visit had already closed by the time I got there and then the camp site I had planned to stay just did not look right and before I knew it I was in the big city of Zacatecas, it was dark and I was lost and going in circles. I saw a hotel sign, pulled in and figured the best plan was to stay here for the night, rest and relax and then leave my van here and take a bus into the city early in the morning and explore this supposedly interesting city on foot. Already I know that I am not particularly fond of cities!! Well day 2 as different as could be from day 1 but all good fun and now ready to sleep and get a good start tomorrow.




No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...