Friday, March 23, 2007

Let me tell you the story about Gerry and Chuck......Chuck I have mentioned before is 87 years old and three times a week he goes to visit his wife in a nursing home about 6 miles away. Chuck is what I see and hope for myself if I am blessed to reach that age, he has a twinkle in his eye, all his marbles and a great sense of fun...Gerry is 78 years old, a brilliant man who 5 weeks ago had hip surgery, anyway today is the day foer Chuck to go visit his wife and for gerry to go to town for some private shopping. One of the jobs here is to druive the participants in one of three vehicles that the centre owns and today was my turn to drive them in. This is my first time doing this particular chore, so I get the keys for the Dodge Caravan and because of lack of mobility I get Gerry into the front seat and Chuck into the rear seat through the back sliding door and away we go. I decided to take Chuck first to the nursing home, so we get there no problem and I press the automatic unlocking door switch to let Chuck out, but guess what it didn't work!!!!! No matter what i did I could not unlock that door, even with the key!!!! So there is Gerry sat in the front laughing like crazy, Chuck in the back thinking he is there till the day he dies and me thinking what the !!!!!!!!! problem solved I help Chuck climb over the front drivers seat and into the drivers seat and eventually out of the van, he is just cracking up, the nurses are out there with about 10 residents in wheel chairs watching this performance and at last Chuck is excavated from the vehicle and re-united with his wife, what a performance. So off Gerry and I go and do the chores he needs and he then says to me "do you like ice cream??" Of course I do so he says lets go i show you where we can a great ice cream cone. So I am thinking is this in the policy rules, do I risk it, do I get in trouble, is Gerry allowed ice cream.....all these thoughts rush through my head and Gerry convinces me it is OK and he even buys the ice cream for me, I had Vanilla and Gerry had chocolate, now remember Gerry is on crutches, so it was pretty difficult for him to eat and stand but we did but he had chocolate all over his chin, down his shirt and his pants, he looked so funny!!!!! Anyway back to the facility and I said to Gerry there is no way we can go back in there with him looking like that and they not notice, so I take him back to his trailer and let him get cleaned up before he comes over to the centre. Gerry says to me that is the most fun he had in a long time and i am thinking just keep all this to yourself please!!!! Well when I go over for supper, the place is pretty full and every one laughs when I walk in there is Chuck and Gerry telling anyone who would listen about their trip to town!!!!!! I don't suppose i shall get assigned any more driving jobs!!!!

No comments:

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...