Friday, November 16, 2018

Friday 16th November 2018...Paola!!!

My friends Sharon and John Doherty, fellow Canadians who first started the The Three Kings Toy Drive are now heavily committed to the Deaf school here in SMA and this morning they had an open house and craft sale which I attended...















One of my English students from four years ago has a son who attends the school and I remember him coming to one of the classes and teaching us all some words in sign language..I went to look for him and found him in the wood working shop when he saw me he burst out in this huge grin and gave me a big hug and I could tell he was telling me that he remembered me.......I signed to him to say hello to his Mum...one of those priceless moments that makes my days here in Mexico worthwhile and wonderful!!!


I also met another friend who I have not seen for a long time and it was nice to catch up with her ..in years past she gave me many household items for Paola and her family .......I also received another donation for three Kings..thanks Joy!!!


So at 5 pm I was in the local park at the basketball waiting for Paola.....and she showed up all smiles..we hugged and sat and talked for a while....even though her English is very limited as is my Spanish we still were able to communicate on a low level.....





She looks good but I am surprised she did not grow taller...she was always a bit of a Tom boy and still has that spirit I can tell!!






Sadly she left school last year and is working in a local restaurant as a dish washer..she works six days a week from 10am to  7pm and takes home 1400 pesos..please do the conversion to your currency and see how little she is paid.


Paola turned 16 last May and now lives with her mother and two younger brothers in one of the campos close to where she works.


It was really great to re connect with her and next time we meet I will take Gracie and I will be able to find out lots more about her......


As I only have one crash helmet I did not want to take her home on the scooter so I put her in a taxi and gave her 100 Pesos.....


We will connect next week and the week after I will get her back to my Dentist where she was going three years ago!!


A busy weekend here in town it is Revolution weekend!!!


Here is an easy one...how many deer?






Yashi Kochi!!!

5 comments:

Dee Tillotson said...

Just caught a quiet moment to catch up on my blog reading; rushing around to get things ready for the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. Well, I got my Christmas gift early this year, and my wish was that you would find Paola, and, of course, you did!! She looks healthy and has a beautiful smile on her face. When you visit with her later, maybe she will tell you more about her situation. Good she is going back to the dentist. Is it too much to hope that she can re-enroll in school?!

Dee Tillotson said...

P.S. I only see two deer!

mexicokid said...

Two deer is correct....my wish would be for her to go back to school but I believe her family will need the money...that is a lot of hours to work..will find out more about her when I take Gracie with me next week....take care best wishes lp

Unknown said...

We just did the math, that poor girl does not even earn a dollar an hour. She works 9 hrs per day 6 days a week to get 1400 pesos!

mexicokid said...

I know it is such an injustice but I am sure she provides for her family..will find out more next week when I see her....lp

Thursday 5 th January 2023…it was a great run!!!

 This was my first ever blog post back in November of 2006!!! With just a couple of days off I have written a blog every day since and I hav...